Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Jan-2006, 16:27
500SD

Mood: I can live with backpain!
Coring out exhausts on an S2R

I'm going to attempt de-restricting standard S2R/S4R exhaust cans,I have a rough idea of what I need to do via an american site,but no details.
I'm doing this because I really like the shape of the OE cans and dislike every other one Ive seen,so buying aftermarket ones are not an option for me
I know from others posting there that its a pig of a job, as there is no easy access to the cans and the dremel cutter I'm using has to cut the internal exhaust pipe to release the end caps,but there are also some brackets internally too but I cant figure those out from the descriptions I've read.
I haven't seen anyone here posting about this type of thing but has anyone done it?,and if so do you have any pics of what you did? or could you do me a diagram of where the optimum place to cut is?
Old 04-Jan-2006, 16:35
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Grunter on UKMOC has done some.

I got custom cans made up for my 750 in 2002 - which transplanted onto the M1000 2 years ago. Made of SS, they are same shape as std, but are a tad shorter, and polish up a treat too.
They give a good tune - ask those who follow me
Old 04-Jan-2006, 23:19
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
Go to the american monster board they have done it loads, even have guys the send there cans to, to core them at a price

I read the s2/4r can be hard to take apart as no rivets on the outside to drill out, looking at mine looks tricky!!
Old 04-Jan-2006, 23:47
500SD

Been there Lee,thats where I've got the info so far.
Quite happy to attempt this(assuming I get time) but I'd rather know what I'm cutting into and how its held together,otherwise I could end up ruining them and having to buy a further set for a second attempt.
Your right,they are not the same as other cans,even the guys who do them all the time went to great lengths to say how tricky it was-at least until they found out how it was constructed.
Thwe wackiest attempt was by someone with a huge masonry drill who just pierced the whole muffler from one side to the other and routed out what he could reach.
I know its a matter of cutting the internal pipe a few inches (1.5 -4 inches???)into the end,but where then?,thats where the other accounts differ from each other and are vague about detail
If I go ahead then I'll take photos as I do it but its frustrating to know others have done theirs already and may have the info to make thing a lot simpler for me.
Old 04-Jan-2006, 23:57
Big Twin

Dave Im sure there are threads on there that show description and pics but hard to find with the search function. Maybe they dont want to give the game away make it to easy for others so thay can charge lol

I guess you like the standard cans ?

I much prefer a singel can when its arkapovic
Old 05-Jan-2006, 00:05
500SD

I've followed most of these threads closely but have never seen any pics of the work.
I do like the originals shape and will have the shells coated black perhaps as they cant be polished ,dump the heatshield too and put two grubsrews into the holes for neatness,may even outline the engraved ducati logo in red if possible.
Should sound a bit better too.
Old 05-Jan-2006, 00:24
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave G
I've followed most of these threads closely but have never seen any pics of the work.
I do like the originals shape and will have the shells coated black perhaps as they cant be polished ,dump the heatshield too and put two grubsrews into the holes for neatness,may even outline the engraved ducati logo in red if possible.
Should sound a bit better too.

You prob right Dave, I sure have seen a lot of threads on it quite funny to see how different the Americans are to us in names of parts etc and how they modify to us to interesting read

I have seen pics of termignonis race cans the same shapes as originals in carbon look real nice on the new S4rs I think they were
Old 05-Jan-2006, 00:26
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Dseered
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee1980
Dave Im sure there are threads on there that show description and pics but hard to find with the search function. Maybe they dont want to give the game away make it to easy for others so thay can charge lol

You know, that would look quite cool on a 749 !

It would I have to say the quality is far better than termignoni and so very light to all titanuim construction bar the sleeve, even the box it came in was custom cut foam
Old 06-Jan-2006, 06:51
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by Dseered
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee1980

You know, that would look quite cool on a 749 !
Well Akropovic do make 'em for 749/999.
Old 06-Jan-2006, 11:51
Big Twin

Thats nice Keefy, If i ever get a 749/999 that be the one I get looks unique