Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-Jun-2006, 10:28
Montjuic

Mood: Garage is getting too small....
Red face Which is better ?? S2R 1000 or M1000 ??

Thinking about changing my curent brace of Dukes and just getting the one. I've currently got an old (93) 900SS and a (03) Multistrada, but want something in the middle of the two.

Both the S2R 1000 and the M1000 appear to fit the bill, but what is the advantage of the S2R over the M1000 ? Is a single sided swingarm really better than the old traditional 2-sided version ? And, regarding the exhausts, I can always fit higher level cans afterwards...

Also, do both variants have identical 1000DS engines or is the S2R a bit more "tweaked" than the M1000 ? Whichever way round, I may well fit a big bore kit on to take it up to 1072, so it's not too important as to which has more grunt as standard.

So what's the view from the existing riders of these two...?
Old 01-Jun-2006, 22:41
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
I guess the motors are same apart from s2r1000 has oxygen sensor and it has a cat underneath. I imagine the m1000 is less restricted by not having any of it.

As for looks i love the sss one of the reasons i got my s4r its just so sexy!!
Easy chain adjustment and allignment and ease wheel changes to.

Dont get white wheels lol pain to clean!

I say go s2r1000
Old 02-Jun-2006, 05:40
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyDuckling
Both the S2R 1000 and the M1000 appear to fit the bill, but what is the advantage of the S2R over the M1000 ?
Ive been lucky enough to test both bikes.I loved the M1000DS,....it was lively and handled very well.I felt at home on it straight away.
The S2R looks pretty but those upswept exhausts forced my foot off the footpegs.(I guess thats my fault for having bloody great feet! )My left heal also was rubbing on something over the bumps.(Swingarm??)
As for exhausts,the M1000 would just be a simple slip-on can job.You can get slip-ons for the S2R but you still have the ugly cat box underneath,....this also strangles the noise from the cans.To remove this you will need a complete,and more expensive full system.
My advice would be to test both bikes before parting with your cash.

Last edited by KeefyB : 02-Jun-2006 at 06:00.
Old 02-Jun-2006, 09:19
500SD

Mood: I can live with backpain!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeefyB
To remove this you will need a complete,and more expensive full system.
My advice would be to test both bikes before parting with your cash.

You dont need a full system KeefyB,spareshack do a cat bypass pipe,and just by doing this it makes the standard cans a bit raspier sounding,I ran mine like this for a while before coring out my standard cans.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DUCATI-S2R-100...cmd ZViewItem

Testing out both is a good idea though,I imagine a dealer might do you a better deal on the M1000 as the S2R1000 is the newer model which replaces it.
You wont get a monster for outright speed so go with the one you like the look of most.

Last edited by Dave G : 02-Jun-2006 at 12:29.
Old 06-Jun-2006, 08:17
Montjuic

Mood: Garage is getting too small....
Thanks for the advice.....I went to my "local" Ducati dealer and found they've closed ("Northampton Riverside"), so it looks like I'll have to try Ducati Aylesbury instead. I got my Multistrada from OYB in Aylesbury, and was rather disappointed with the "service". Are Ducati Aylesbury any better ?