Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 11-Nov-2006, 21:58
DSC Club Member
Ducati Corse

Mood: I feel the need, the need for speed.
Almost cheaper to buy a new shock.

748R - Less is more !
Old 11-Nov-2006, 22:23
WSB Hero

Mood: No point in working long hours to die early
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz 748
Almost cheaper to buy a new shock.
I know. but once it's apart and they are working on it you're in it. Even Steve didn't know that parts had been superceded and discontinued.
Still it's back now, so get it on and have a play.
Old 11-Nov-2006, 22:26
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally Posted by doogalman
I know. but once it's apart and they are working on it you're in it. Even Steve didn't know that parts had been superceded and discontinued.
Still it's back now, so get it on and have a play.

It pretty much sounds like you've bought a new one anyway! With the amount of parts you've bought .. Steve's a good guy, I'd be happy with his word.

What a bugger, but there you go ... should be good once you get it on though
Old 11-Nov-2006, 23:44
500SD

Hi guys

As a matter of interest, here's a copy of an e-mail I've just received from Maxton after having them quote me for a suspension rebuild on my 888SP. It's got Ohlins front and rear. All-in, it's going to cost me around £500.

DUCATI 888 SP4

FRONT:

"The forks are Ohlins , and they give a very hard ride. The damping and springing are too hard and need to be modified. We do a fork conversion that revalves the compression damping and rebound damping (we reduce the compression damping and increase the rebound damping) We also use a different fork spring, the final choice is made when we know what the bike is used for (road or race) and the riders weight. Cost £250 plus VAT, and carriage. The seals generally are very prone to leaking, and because we can only use original Ohlins seals (there is no cheap replacement ) the cost of a new pair of seals is £46 plus VAT".

REAR:

"The rear is an Ohlins. It is very similar to the front in that the springing and compression damping is too hard. Just changing the spring hardly makes a difference, particularly at speed. We revalve the compression inside the unit and use a softer spring, the final choice of spring is dependent on the use of the bike and the riders weight. The cost of revalving the unit and changing the spring is £130 plus VAT and carriage.

We make a replacement shock a Maxton high pressure gas shock costing £405 plus VAT or £490 plus VAT with a remote".
Old 12-Nov-2006, 01:55
Mille

Mood: Big bill-money well spent
absolutely yes definately not and everything inbetween, as usual.
Old 12-Nov-2006, 05:23
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
Someone once told me that the only real difference you could tell between Ohlins and a well set up showa suspension system was when you were on the limit on a track!
Old 19-Nov-2006, 14:04
Mille

Mood: poon tang
well thanks guys .i was bidding for a shock off fleabay. ohlins. after reading posts i wont buy a used one now.ill get mine rebuilt. or buy new.
Old 20-Nov-2006, 10:34
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
The rear Ohlins on my bike (R model) had piston rod damage, I thought about buying one off e-bay but got mine repaired/serviced, a bit less money than one off fleabay as it turned out and now I know I have a rear shock that is in tip top nick, not one of unknown origin, age, condition off Fleabay.

Ohlins worth it, IMHO on the road the ride is so much plusher, less stiction compared to the non nitrided showas, on the front of a 996 BIP and showa rear. But Compared to nitirded showa forks I couldn't tell the difference on the road. Didn't get the chance to fiddle with the 998s set up ( nitrided showas) as it wasn't my bike.

I can feel the difference with small changes on the ohlins set as well, unlike on the 996 BIP.

Ray.
Old 20-Nov-2006, 11:14
Mille

Mood: He's not happy {:o( He's back at sea!
S'funny that, owned my T8SP4S since 1997 and neither front fork (FG9050)has leaked, ever. Only stripped, checked and seals replaced after Oct 05 front end smash when the front wheel was pushed against the rad'. Forks not bent, frame was. Hard ride on the front due to track springing, but a lot can be dialed out.
The rear shock is spot on, only change was a 10% reduction in spring rate and softening up the comp and rebound.
I can't knock 'em. I do make a point of carefully removing the crapola that
gets under the dust seals though, as that balls up and causes inner seal failure.

Ains.