Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 28-Apr-2006, 10:33
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Those gold nitrided forks do make the look of the bike even sexier though...................even showa have done it as well now, although you cant beat the real thing can you?
Old 28-Apr-2006, 10:38
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
LOL funnily enough i bought the GN firks for mine... Showa cheapo ones of course, not the bling Ohlins ones... Mostly because i wanted the P34 calipers, just for show value of course too....

personally i think an Ohlins shock is worth the upgrade. Although Crust has fitted his Ohlins rear and it's made the bike 100% worse than the Showa set up by Baines. We're hoping when he gets over to see Louigi it will be better..

I've just bought one myself that arrives in a few days...

however not because it's 300g lighter than the Showa one.
Old 28-Apr-2006, 12:52
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Quote:
Originally posted by weeksy2
LOL funnily enough i bought the GN firks for mine... Showa cheapo ones of course, not the bling Ohlins ones... Mostly because i wanted the P34 calipers, just for show value of course too....

personally i think an Ohlins shock is worth the upgrade. Although Crust has fitted his Ohlins rear and it's made the bike 100% worse than the Showa set up by Baines. We're hoping when he gets over to see Louigi it will be better..

So how are these forks tricker, and in what context?
Old 28-Apr-2006, 13:02
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by andyb
better material, lighter..............

LOL lighter ? the whole shock weighs less than 5kg... if it makes it 4.5kg... really ? is there a point ?

It's unsprung weight Steve. If you can save 20% then that's significant. If there's one place where weight should be shed then it's from the suspension, wheels and brakes. Increaseing the ratio between sprung & unsprung improves ride and handling. It's why racers spend a fortune on lightweight wheels.
Old 28-Apr-2006, 13:11
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
If you have a bike that comes with Ohlins as standard I would say that it's worth it. Lots of people have commented on their greater adjustability (where a click either way makes a difference), and their rebuildability etc...

However, if your bike didn't have Ohlins as standard and came with Showa or Boge units (like both of mine) I would probably spend my money in a different way rather than upgrade to Ohlins.

Personally, my preference for my T8 (and my ST) would certainly to go for an Ohlins (or similar WP, Maxton etc) rear shock for those very reasons, but I'm less convinced about the forks. Rather than combing eBay or buying new Ohlins (not so easy on a T8) forks I would rather spend my money with K-Tech or somebody who could rebuild and revalve my existing Showas and get them set up exactly how I wanted them (that would also remove the annoying tendency of 888 Ohlins fork seals to pop)

As TP says, it's the condition and setup that's more important than the manufacturer, so if I had £500 to spend on suspension it would be winging K-techs way rather than into an Ohlins dealer.
Old 28-Apr-2006, 13:27
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by andyb
Quote:

So how are these forks tricker, and in what context?

they are gold coloured

[Edited on 28-4-2006 by weeksy2]
Old 28-Apr-2006, 13:29
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
I'll have two pairs then!
Old 28-Apr-2006, 13:48
WSB Hero

Mood: No point in working long hours to die early
Is there anywhere in the surrey sussex kent sort of area that could service my shock??
Not going near steve jordan as they are quoting £120 plus. Ideally i would like to take it somewhere rather than post.
Old 28-Apr-2006, 13:49
Big Twin

Ring Colin Leender. 07715490888

Ohlins suspension expert.

Tell him i sent you
Old 28-Apr-2006, 13:53
Big Twin

Mood: Not so broke any more !!!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by doogalman
Is there anywhere in the surrey sussex kent sort of area that could service my shock??
Not going near steve jordan as they are quoting £120 plus. Ideally i would like to take it somewhere rather than post.

K -Tech , is worth posting to , they done my forks in three days !! and thats to N Ireland

And as to Ohlins is better or not , a badly set up bike is a badly set up bike no matter whats on it , but the difference in my 998 forks is really noticable since the re-valve ,not Ohlins !

Get what ever you have set up FOR YOU and dont worry about Ohlins