Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 23-Dec-2006, 01:08
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 1098R Bayliss Rep

Mood: Find people who share your values, and you'll conquer the world together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1keyp
the natural evolution of the 916.

I say what i think and can take the heat, ok i guess you did not like the 749\999 versions but as this version follows on from them its the natural evolution of them otherwise it would have come first There is so much on this bike that is less Ducati looking than any previouse version, other than the fact it has twin head lights and single side swing arm, no doubt others have their own view this is mine. it looks nothing like a 916 ( nothing can it was an icon in the Ducati era) this is a totaly new breed of machine some will love others will hate.

If you have ridden it you would know it does not compair with a 916 but has more of the handeling of a 749\999 and then some.
Old 23-Dec-2006, 10:43
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
Gossa,

Pop in for a coffee on the way home to Poole :-)

Rgds,

Rob
Old 23-Dec-2006, 11:32
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Evolution or revolution-you decide.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1098.jpg (144.1 KB, 72 views)

Growing old-disgracefully!
Old 23-Dec-2006, 16:54
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Well I popped over to St Neots today and what can I say... I know that some of my mates have reservations about it, but I am smitten.

There are bits of it that I thought I wouldn't like from all the photos. I thought that the front end was too Japanese, I thought that the back end was too MV and that the cans didn't fit properly, I thought that the swingarm was too big and clumsy and I didn't like the dogs ear shape of the mirrors. I reality the styling has definitely got more Ducati DNA than Japanese in my eyes and it looks much more together than it looks in photos. It is bloody gorgeous.

There are bits that I really like. It was stood next to a 749 and the bigger tubing used on the frame really stands out and is VERY cool. I love the big narrow track discs and the chunky calipers and the instruments are as cool as frozen cool pie. I also love the magnesium cam covers and the forged Marchesinis are a work of art (it was the S I looked at)

There are a couple of bits that I didn't like. The infamous exhaust shield/valve cover looks naff to me and is crying out for a piece of carbon to replace it and the forward section of the seat unit is finished in dark grey plastic which has a cheaper feel than you might expect or want on a 14K bike.

Overall though, I would still love one

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 23-Dec-2006, 17:07
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jools
Well I popped over to St Neots today and what can I say... I know that some of my mates have reservations about it, but I am smitten.

There are bits of it that I thought I wouldn't like from all the photos. I thought that the front end was too Japanese, I thought that the back end was too MV and that the cans didn't fit properly, I thought that the swingarm was too big and clumsy and I didn't like the dogs ear shape of the mirrors. I reality the styling has definitely got more Ducati DNA than Japanese in my eyes and it looks much more together than it looks in photos. It is bloody gorgeous.

There are bits that I really like. It was stood next to a 749 and the bigger tubing used on the frame really stands out and is VERY cool. I love the big narrow track discs and the chunky calipers and the instruments are as cool as frozen cool pie. I also love the magnesium cam covers and the forged Marchesinis are a work of art (it was the S I looked at)

There are a couple of bits that I didn't like. The infamous exhaust shield/valve cover looks naff to me and is crying out for a piece of carbon to replace it and the forward section of the seat unit is finished in dark grey plastic which has a cheaper feel than you might expect or want on a 14K bike.

Overall though, I would still love one

I'm a bit like you jools, had reservations until I had seen it in the flesh. The singarm is a work of art in my opinion, looking at it from an engineering point of view. Its still very Ducati from the cockpit even with the new dash. I like the sprocket carrier and the calipers. Calipers remind me of billet brembo's
My one on only reservation is the ends of the cans? I just can't get my head around them, they look ab it too R1. I would like to have seen ends similar to the desmodecci :-)
Old 23-Dec-2006, 18:22
Mille

Mood: Ride with me, Ground Shaking comes as standard..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dseered
Went to Ducati Leeds today and within 2 minutes of walking through the door, Derek had said, swing your leg over and fire it up, keys are in

I was there too, was going to ask if it was your " well used" example downstairs after al lit's the only one i know of with white wheels. Wonder if our paths crossed? ha ha!

Back to the 1098s they had in there! Amazing. I liked the first shots i saw but wasn't 100% convinced but now i've seen it in the flesh well! HOw to afford one without ruining the rest of my financial life is the other question

Last edited by fab : 23-Dec-2006 at 18:24.
Old 23-Dec-2006, 18:29
Mille

Lookin at the MV's downstairs and nearly fell over the advertising hoarding?
Old 23-Dec-2006, 18:54
Mille

ive just been into ducati bristol to have a look at a 1098s,i like certain aspects but personally dont feel its the jaw dropper it could of been, im sure its a great bike but for now its not enough to make me want to part with my 749r
Old 23-Dec-2006, 21:03
Big Twin

I have been into M & S Motorcycles in Newcastle and had a sit on their 1098 S, It felt very light on first impressions the tank seems a bit of a ballcrusher !

The bike is very nice, there are some really nice parts to it but there are also some parts already mentioned that look a bit cheapish compared to the rest of the bike. I am tempted by one but after looking at the 1098 then my 749R sat near it on a stand with spotlights on it I do not know if it looked as nice as my R ?

People were coming in to see the 1098 but there were just as many looking at my bike and the spec sheet as it still has everything fitted, it looked that nice I nearly bought it myself !

If my bike sells I will buy a 1098, if it doesnt I am not unduly bothered, its not as if my bike is rubbish.
Old 24-Dec-2006, 19:05
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dseered
Fab, was that you upstairs talking to some of the DuN crew upstairs when I left ?

No i didn't speak to anyone whilst i was there, i was waiting to have a word with the sales man upstairs but he was on the phone for ages witha potential 1098 customer, i was mostly around the 1098 (short stocky, with black hair and glasses) gonna have to see how much they will offer me for mine aginst one next year though, i really can't be affording one at the mo whilst im house renovating!!