Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 25-May-2006, 15:41
Bevel Head

Mood: Oooooh, Northern boys love gravy...
No mate, just take the side case off and should all be accessible. If you u2u me an e-mail address I'll send you the relevant diagram from the workshop manual.
Old 25-May-2006, 15:42
Ducati Dealer
GTL

Mood: Just fallen in love with road riding again!
You can remove the side casing with the motor in the chassis, you will to drain the oill and you'll need a puller that goes on the end of the crank to pull the alternator magnet off the crank.

With the side case off you can check the gear selector linkage, this could have slipped or be worn, if you need the page from the manual to set it up U2U me. if it changes up ok and not down it is probably the selector.

It is a bit of a tricky job without the right tools but can be done if your mechanically minded and prepared to spend plenty of time on it.

Good luck.
Old 25-May-2006, 16:10
Mille

In my case the selector pedal can be moved up and down, but all i get is a grinding noise and the gear doesn't seem to be actually engaged
Old 26-May-2006, 02:51

I had a similar problem on my 748, the lever kept locking up when I tried to change down a gear...

If you remove the LH cover (make a puller up yourself from a piece of flat stock steel and some bolts), then remove the flywheel. Behind the flywheel you will see part of the gear change mechanism which consists of a fork with a pin in the middle. The pin has a slot in the end and a locknut.

This pin has an eccentric adjustment on it and there is supposed to be an equal gap between each side of the pin and the fork. It has possible that the pin has rotated slightly causing a unequal gap (it had on mine...).

You will need to remove the mechanism to measure this gap properly, mark the position of EVERYTHING with an indelible pen (including the adjustable plate and the selector claw) this will give you a rough idea of where to start from when you put it back together. There is a line marked on the selector claw, this has to be halfway between the pins on the drum. Make sure you can change up and down smoothly before putting the cover back on.

Use a new alternator nut and torque it to the correct figure using a little bit of loctite.

Let me know if you want any more details.

Good luck!
Old 29-May-2006, 17:34
Mille

Hi all,

I didn't take the bike to the service yet, but together with a friend who is a mechanic at the local Ducati service, we did a few checks:

1. With the engine stopped he moved the bike around and it changed perfectly up and down through all the gears

2. With the engine on (started into neutral) if you rev it a bit it automatically engages a gear !!!!!!
Even with the clutch pressed it cannot be pushed front or backwards.

So he concluded something is wrong inside the gearbox, maybe some washers/dogs/sprockets broken...

What do you guys think?
Old 29-May-2006, 18:03
Ducati Dealer
GTL

Mood: Just fallen in love with road riding again!
couple of questions..

1. when you rev the motor and it engages a gear, which gear?

2. "bike cannot be pushed forward or back", is it trying to turn the motor or is it the gearbox that is locked?

It sounds like you need to get the cases apart and have a look. could be broken selector fork but more likely its broken some teeth off. drain the oil and see whats stuck to the sump magnet. bet you find some gearbox bits

Not then end of the world to repair though and its pretty easy to find a 2nd complete gearbox.

748RS race bike (well, 853 but who\'s counting!)
999S road bike,

www.motorapido.co.uk
Old 30-May-2006, 21:23
Mille

hi,

1. i really don't know cause the neutral light remains on and the selector remains in the same position...

2. It's the gearbox which is locked

I have another 748 gearbox which i'm probably going to fit

Thanks for the answers