Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Mar-2009, 22:21   #1
DSC Club Member

Mood: Waiting for summer
S4Rs Power Commander
Has anyone fitted a power commander to a Monster S4Rs? I have Quat D cat eliminator and Termig twin cans and the ECU and the air filter. Fuelling seems too rich, Smell and poor tank range pointing to this. Seems to run better without the baffles in the cans which maybe also points to being too rich. Thinking of going to Dyna Bike in Malton for Power commander and dyno set up. But it seems lots of money if it does not have a good improvement. Read OPerformance bikes this month and they fitted power commander to a Yam R6 (Yeah I know, totally different bike) but the differences did not seem to justify the cost.

The ECU is second hand - Have read somewhere that they "lock" themselves to the first bike. Anyone know if this is true?

Live each day as if it's your last - one day you will surely be right
Old 28-Mar-2009, 01:22   #2
Mille

Mood: punishing
Yes the other month. It has a termi 54mm system added from memory and after mapping 133-136 hp from memory .If you can find winpep 7 veiwer and download it I can email you the before and after run file. The powercommander was the way to go as the ecu was just fuelling in the wrong places giving poor HP
Old 28-Mar-2009, 07:40   #3
DSC Club Member

Cheers - Will not do the WINPEP download - it's my company's laptop and with the virus's around these days it's pretty much locked down to stop dowload of anything non business critical. I do have a WINPEP print out from mine done by a place in Doncaster showing 133 BHP and slightly rich fuelling. The dyno guy says that power commander will lean it off and make the whole bike more rideable, smoother but not necessarily much if any more top end power but he may say that cos he's trying to relieve me of about £400. I hope to get more fuel economy too. So it's more seat of the pants feedback I am after - suppose I will only get that from someone who has ridden the bike with the exhaust and ecu mods without a power commander, then hadt he PC fitted, then ridden it afterwards. And also someone who has noticed whether afterwards they can then get more than 80 miles before fuel light comes on.
Any chance you can scan a printout of the dyno output and email that?

Old 28-Mar-2009, 11:54   #4
Mille

Mood: punishing
Email me through my homepage and ill send it to you
Old 03-Apr-2009, 12:17   #5
DSC Club Member

Booked bike in at Dynobike in Malton for a PC3 and custom Map on 22 April. Will post update on findings in terms of dyno read out and seat of the pants feel. And also whether I can then manage more than 80 miles before fuel light comes on.

Old 24-Apr-2009, 11:09   #6
DSC Club Member

Bike been to Dyno Bike - Power commander fitted
An excellent afternoon at Dyno bike. Paul explained everything he was going to do then set to work. Did a base run and commented that should be able to save me lots of fuel. Mounted power commander on leading edge of air box just under the steering head. When doing the runs lots of big negative numbers at the bottom end where the power commander was leaning off the fueling. After set up gave me 3 to 4 bhp extra throughout the rev range - best peak was 134.75 BHP.
Bike to ride is now much sweeter and crisper. Mate who has ridden behind it before and after has commented that it sounds that way and also there is less of a smell of fuel. Hope to be out on it this weekend to see if the 80 miles to fuel light is improved as hoped.
Also did a run with baffles fitted afterwards. Cropped about 5bhp off throughout the rev range and made the fuelling slightly rich. Will run without unless Police or track day noise test dictates otherwise. Attatched graph from dyno.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Monster dyno bike malton.pdf (343.1 KB, 8 views)

Old 27-Apr-2009, 12:33   #7
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Nice results.

Keep thinking I ought to get a PCIII for the 998, had it dynoed a few times after having the cams dialled and air intake mesh removed and and it's running slightly lean.

Ray
Old 27-Apr-2009, 14:10   #8
DSC Club Member

Well I can recommend Dynobike at Malton.

Got out a few times at the weekend but each run was less than 85 miles and as I thought each time that my next run would be longer I filled up each time. However it looks like it's working out as 10 miles per litre in which case it should do 100 miles before light comes on - a good improvement. On the run I did that was 85 miles I kept hitting the brakes hard towards the end of the ride as that tend to show if the light is due to come on but it did not. Pre power commander it would have been on at that mileage without any braking.