Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-Jun-2005, 01:05
500SD

Mood: #73 Class A newbie: I'm fitting seatbelts!
748S and 748R. What\'s the difference?

Aside from Marchesini wheels, what is the difference between the post-2000 S and R models? A quick look at the MCN site didn't help, they had no info on the S.
Also, what extras came with these models; pipes, chips, etc.

Cheers
Old 01-Jun-2005, 09:21
Mille

Mood: Mildly reckless...
Bit of a guess this but I think that the 748R came with slightly more BHP (presumably from a different engine management system), carbon fibre airbox, ohlins suspension, monopost, road and race cans, race chip, rear stand in colour of frame, bike cover, slipper clutch.

There might be some other things I've forgotten, oh yes, they cost more and need the belts changing annually rather than bi-annually on the S

Apologies if any of this is wrong

(PS. I also think that the paint might be different - I have been told there is a standard red and an anniversary red (?) and although they don't look different, it becomes very obvious when you use the wrong colour touch-up!)
Old 01-Jun-2005, 09:34
Mille
Bikes: ST4S

Mood: Finally gotten over the 748R getting stolen thing. Actually, no i haven't !
The latest R's use a wider Cam belt, i don't know if the s does but i doubt it.
Ti con rods, different primary gearing, shower injectors, huge air box.
Old 01-Jun-2005, 09:39
Mille

Blimey, never knew about those bits...

Old 01-Jun-2005, 09:45
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
I had a 748S and upgraded to a 748R 2002 model and the difference is vast.....its an absolute weapon and a dream to own..if u r deciding between the S and the R then go for the R u will not regret it.....but note its a focused machine not a lazy ride to soak up the miles.........

Phil
Old 01-Jun-2005, 10:41
500SD

Mood: #73 Class A newbie: I'm fitting seatbelts!
cheers

Thanks for all the feedback. Much appreciated.
The R sounds great but I'm a bit intimidated by the annual services! Owning a Duke is pricey enough. Gonna think hard....

FIL2 - take it that's you on your beloved R?

Quote:
Originally posted by fil2
I had a 748S and upgraded to a 748R 2002 model and the difference is vast.....its an absolute weapon and a dream to own..if u r deciding between the S and the R then go for the R u will not regret it.....but note its a focused machine not a lazy ride to soak up the miles.........

Phil
Old 01-Jun-2005, 10:49
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
[quote]Originally posted by gunforhire
Thanks for all the feedback. Much appreciated.
The R sounds great but I'm a bit intimidated by the annual services! Owning a Duke is pricey enough. Gonna think hard....

FIL2 - take it that's you on your beloved R?

lol...no thats the 600ss race bike dude........the annual service is not as bad as you think..just to get the belts changed is quite reasonable..its the 2 year 12k full service that is the BIG one and part of the warranty clause. Saying that i had my full service done for 350 quid which is a superb price....belts i think are in the order of 150 -200 quid ...so not bad.
It is worth it.... on track they are awesome an alomost perfect balance of power and handling........

If u r local u could take mine out and see what you think.?

Phil

[Edited on 1-6-2005 by fil2]
Old 01-Jun-2005, 11:28
Mille

Just done Nurburg on my 748R and the only thing that caused problems was the tank bag pushing me into the wind blast, limiting me to about 120. My knees go a bit stiff on long runs but other than that the Duke is as comfy as anything else I've ridden. About 1,100 miles in all, from home there, and back.

Just has a full service at Riverside Ducati in Northampton (they have been mentioned somewhere in an earlier thread) which was about £450 I think, so not too bad considering.

Don't be put of by fears of it being difficult to ride or too powerful - this can be said for any bike if ridden with a quick wrist!

The only thing I need to do now is learn to ride the tw@t!

[Edited on 1-6-2005 by L3OONY]
Old 01-Jun-2005, 11:34
500SD

Mood: DOH!
No need to be intimidated by the servicing costs of the R, there won't be any difference between the R and the standard bike on that one!

Aside from that, agree with Fil to the hilt, there's a world of difference between the two, the R being a fair bit faster and has better suspension and stuff. And looks cooler

[Edited on 1-6-2005 by desmojen]
Old 01-Jun-2005, 11:49
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
I think service costs will be the same as Jen has said, the only difference as stated above is that the belts need changing annually or every six thousand miles rather than 24 months/12,000 miles like other models.