Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Jul-2003, 00:20

Mood: for lurve
Try running a jumper wire from the battery to the starter relay (eliminating the whole loom and switch assembly). Make sure the bike is in neutral and try the jump. It may spark a little but if the starter kicks in then you know it's the loom and or switch.

Make sure you go to the starter relay input connection. Or your jumper will melt in your hands!!
Old 30-Jul-2003, 22:29
Mille

Mood: Ducatiless, but got License back
Thanks for all you help, did what you suggested Geo-taff, and she cranked up. Checked all the connections and it was the bl00dy starter relay connections (white plastic 2 wire fella) had come out. Now firmly back in place with a tie wrap.

Suggest everyone spends 5 mins to tie wrap their starter relay connections. As is seems to be a common problem.
Old 31-Jul-2003, 21:11
Big Twin

Yeah I can confirm that this is usual stuff. I scratched my head a few times over that one as it affected both 916 and 996... well until Nelly the man pointed me to the failing connector!

Careful about the main plug behind the rectifier as well. If it gets loose, battery doesn't recharge, bike runs out of the battery until it is drained ... and that got me stranded at Coppice!! Worth tying up that one too!
Old 01-Aug-2003, 12:26
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
My 996 did that from day one...

Since then a cable tie has kept it all intact... Ahhh Italians !