Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 24-May-2006, 23:25
Mille

916 gearbox problems

Hi all. Can somebody give me an idea on this?

It all started 3 days ago when i left home on my 1995 916 and at the first corner i had trouble changing the gear down from 2nd to 1st. The selector was like stucked into 2nd and wouldn't want to move into 1st. Had to stop the engine put it into 1st and go further. For 5 minutes it was difficult to change up (it worked but with increased pressure on the selector), but it was a real pain of selecting down the gears. I'm sure clutch was functioning ok (i have an open cover and i can see it dissengaging). Then, after a few minutes of driving, it suddenly started to work again as normal . I cataloged it as an isolate incident so i ignored it, till...

This morning, left home, did a couple of miles in traffic 1st -2nd gear and while starting off at a streetlight, changed from 1st to 2nd and suddenly a horrible grinding sound was heard from the left side (like the one you get when you miss a gear and it remains somewhere in between gears).

I stopped checked the chain/frontsprocket, everything was ok. Started off in 1st again, it was driveable, but only till max 5mph. Beyond that, the grinding sound appears and the bike simply doesn't accelerate. I tried to change into 2nd/3rd, but all i got was more of the "tool box rattling sound" from the left side if the engine.

I assumed something was wrong with the gear selector/gearbox so i continued at minimum speed till home. 100meters from home things got even worse. When starting from a stop light in 1st gear the bike simply refused to go further, with the clutch pressed and in 1st gear it couldn't be even pushed!!!

I had to stop the engine, put it into neutral (which worked) and push it till home.

With the engine on and gear selected in neutral it can be pushed, but if i select the 1st gear and release the clutch, it seems that the gearbox is seized. 1st gear is selected, with the engine on, it cannot be put into neutral or any other gear (selector seems stuck)

Can anybody suggest potential reasons / solutions?

Regards
Old 25-May-2006, 10:50
Mille

somebody? please
Old 25-May-2006, 11:03
500SD

Mood: Missing my Flash...
Not sure if this helps, but I had a similar problem changing down the gears on my 748.

Happened about 2 weeks ago, I was riding as normal, going up the box was sweet, 2-3-4-5-6, then started to come down the box to 3rd gear, all ok. Caught up with other traffic, tried to knock it down to 2nd. Nothing. It was like the box was already in first gear and you can't go down any further. Know what I mean?!

I stopped for a while, got back on, everything ok for about 2 minutes, then the same thing happened, but this time I was stuck in 5th gear! Not so easy to ride. Managed to limp back to pro-twins and they sorted the problem: disengaged selector rod inside the box. It is supposed to "click" into place as it engages each gear, readying itself for the next gear-change. Mine had come loose, simple as that.

They drained the box, tightened everything, works fine now.

Not sure if this is of help.... Good luck though.

Ade.
Old 25-May-2006, 11:05
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Hello CipiVTS

Maybe of no use, was there any sign of an oil light?
Check the oil level, then if me I would drop the oil, check pickup filter.
That would give you a sign, possible main bearings gone. (worst case scenario)

If all ok check the pushrod/bearing.

maybe lose alternator nut has worked lose

does not sound good mate, I had an engine seize on me, and is in bits at the moment.

I hope I am totally wrong, and I am sure some better advice will be along soon.

good luck

regards

TopiToo

[Edited on 15-07-1968 by TopiToo]
Old 25-May-2006, 11:11
Mille

Thanks ath748, every advice is useful now. The same happen to me a few days before the incident.

@Topitoo: No pressure light yet (it was the first thing i checked you can imagine)

The engine is running as normal while in neutral. The seized engine thing appears after selecting a gear (usually 1st). I tried to select the 2nd but it doesn't get in, although i press the selector as hard as i can
Old 25-May-2006, 12:34
500SD

Mood: Missing my Flash...
After you press the selector, try to lift it a tiny bit to get it to "click" into place. If that works, then you have at least the same problem as I did. But with the 'box not sounding right, there may be more.
Old 25-May-2006, 13:07
Bevel Head

Mood: Oooooh, Northern boys love gravy...
Gearchange lever return spring?
Old 25-May-2006, 13:50
Mille

From the exterior it seems the lever returns... but you're right, i can't never know what's under still i crack the leftside cover for a check
Old 25-May-2006, 14:06
Bevel Head

Mood: Oooooh, Northern boys love gravy...
Or could even be the fork return spring - remember having similar problems on a Pantah and it was a spring that was the culprit. Definitely worth having a look, even if only to rule it (them) out.
Old 25-May-2006, 14:10
Mille

Do i have to crack open the crankcases in order to reach the fork spring?