Old 13-Mar-2009, 17:11
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Steel Con Rods

Hello

Can anybody point me in the right direction to read about
Con Rods and the difference in models,
ie from early 748's to present day 748's.

Am I right in saying there are two types used in the 748's?

TopiToo
Old 13-Mar-2009, 17:45
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
There's a bit on here...not much to go on, but maybe a start

http://www.moto-one.com.au/performan...apacities.html

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 13-Mar-2009, 20:42
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Trying to recall which models came with Pankl rods, fairly certain the original 916 Strada did and possibly the 748SP and a few others

http://www.sigmaperformance.com/748spstech.htm

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 13-Mar-2009, 22:24

Mood: Cool
All I know is as a rule you can't use Ti rods on Hi comp engines..but I may be wrong...

Last edited by arthurbikemad : 13-Mar-2009 at 22:32.
Old 13-Mar-2009, 23:17
Mille
Bikes: ST4S

Mood: Finally gotten over the 748R getting stolen thing. Actually, no i haven't !
Why not ?
Old 13-Mar-2009, 23:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith_mann1959
Why not ?

Well thats a good question, this my sound odd but I was told that Ti rods can't handle high compression? Odd coz I always thought that Titainum was stronger than steel? Perhaps someone could set us right..?

Or is it that Titainum rods in order to be lighter just rev harder at low compresion, whereas if they were to withstand Higer compresion they would fail at such loads. Hence low comp with ti rods = more power top end.. Or high comp with steel rods = more power low end... Right?
Old 14-Mar-2009, 00:02

Well you asked so here you are:

Quote:-

"The most important thing about Ti is it feels funny when you hold it. I collect surplus Ti bolts because they are cheap and hi-tech and the first thing you notice aside from the weight is the warmth. This comes about because of the lower thermal conductivity of Ti (and to answer one of your questions, Ti has a low thermal coefficient of expansion).

Anyhow, back to rods. Ti has a density about 55% that of and a tensile modulus (measure of stiffness) about 65% that of steel. What this means is if you take two identically sized bars of material, the Ti one will be about half the weight of the steel one, but if you hang a big weight at the end of each bar, the steel bar won't deflect as far. To make the Ti bar as stiff, you would have to increase the cross section slightly (but not necessarily by 50% depending on how clever you are).

So back to rods. 6Al-4V (which is one of the common alloys of Ti) has a tensile strength of 170kpsi vs. 220kpsi for 4340 steel as used in good rods when both are heat treated. That means that to make a Ti rod as strong as a steel rod (in stretching strength as in keeping the piston attached), we would have to increase the cross section of the beam by 30%. It gets better though, to prevent buckling of the beam under high combusion pressure (say that monster T04 turbo), you have to ensure that the stiffness of the beam is equivalent (to first order disregarding a whole bunch of ME stuff I'm not interested or versed in). Since Ti has a modulus 65% that of steel, we need to increase the cross section in a way that will stiffen the structure without adding too much weight. Look on too.com for a nice explanation of rod beam strength and H vs. I and consider the tradeoffs between packaging and weight by making things thicker or farther apart etc. If you got lucky, both things (strengh and stiffness) could be done at the same time and so the Ti rod is now 60 to 65% the weight of the steel rod. Pretty cool.

Ah, but it gets better. Ti likes to, on a small scale, swap spit with steel when they're rubbing against each other. That's galling. Chunks of material will transfer from one side to another or they'll just get stuck. That means you have to be real careful with your steel bolts in Ti, either by getting coatings or silver plating, or by using lots of antiseize. Also, your Ti rod is going to want to stick to the sides of your rod journal so the whole rod has to be coated with something from moly disulfide to titanium nitride to something really hi-tech whatever that might be.

Ok, but you can deal with all of that. Oh, forgot to mention, Ti is notch sensitive. That means that if you have little scratches on the surface, they are more likely to form cracks. Better hope that they treat your rods carefully when they assemble the engine and don't decide to go stamping them with a punch. (This is sort of like the time I took an ARP stud to the machine shop to see if they thought I could shorten them on the lathe with a steel tool (because they are hardened) and they whipped out a file and started filing to see!) That earlier comment about roller burnishing vs. honing, that was (I believe) due to this notch sensitivity issue. Honing is like sanding on a small scale so it leaves lot of little tears and scratches which can act like micro cracks. Roller burnishing rubs the material smooth and probably leaves a compressive stress on the surface. (squeeze a crack and it does nothing, stretch it and it grows and grows)

On top of all of that, the rods are major bucks. Very few people have forgings for import size rods [Owen, I was looking for a 146mm rod, 51mm and 20mm] and all the rest would be made from billet (back to too.com for an explanation of the advantages of forging). On top of all of that, they are DAMN expensive. $350 to $450 a rod! And on a more direct note, I asked TOO if he thought it was worth it (for what most of us want to do) and he said no. But it was an interesting little journey and I learned something along the way."

I think what he's trying to say is if ti rods were to run at high comp they would need to be 30% bigger than the same sizesd steel rod that can run that comp ratio..

Perhaps I was close...

SORRY Topitoo for going off subject!!

Last edited by arthurbikemad : 14-Mar-2009 at 00:15.
Old 14-Mar-2009, 02:16
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Steve
start reading around page 40
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=0...ult#PPA44 ,M1

Extra info
http://www.kaemna.de/cms_en/katalog....seite&seite=28

The 748R comes with titanium Conrods as standard

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook

Last edited by skidlids : 14-Mar-2009 at 02:27.