Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 04-Jun-2012, 15:26

Wanted Sports Classic 1000

Sorry if its not posted in the right area of the forum.

Hi Guys,

I am wondering if any of you can help me out. Over the next few months I am on the lookout for my next bike, having set my sites on the Ducati Sports Classic 1000 biposto. Unfortunately not many of them seem to be around.

I am not in a rush (which is a good thing I guess). Overall I am looking for a higher mileage bike, so 10k or 30k on the clock. I have talked to a dealer that sold two this year and he has given me a realistic price range that I should aim within for one of the higher mileage bikes. I would go for a lower mileage bike but they are just so expensive!

I am not going to be overly picky as long as its in sound working order, ideally I would like black or red but considering they don't come up for sale much I am not going to get fussy.

If anyone on this forum has one for sale or knows of a reasonable one that comes up for sale I would love to hear from you.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this.

Rich
Old 04-Jun-2012, 16:36
DSC Club Rep
Montjuic

Hi Rich,

Ducati Manchester have a red Sport 1000 Mono with 6,700 miles for £5,995. Only problem is its a single seater, no good if you want a biposto? There was another Mono for sale in yellow a couple of days ago at Finsmotorcycles.co.uk with only 1,600 miles for £5,500 but its disappeared from the website now unfortunately; sold I guess.

Worth keeping an eye on eBay as a couple of Biposto S models have come up in the past month. I remember seeing one of them at £5,500 and the bidding on the second one went a bit mad (over £8,000!) but the sale fell through as it was an international buyer who hadn't fully taken into account the shipping costs. The cheapest classic I've seen was back in 2011 at £3,750 on eBay for another mono in Yellow.

I've had an 06 mono since 2010, great bike!

Steve
Old 04-Jun-2012, 17:32

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve E
Hi Rich,

Ducati Manchester have a red Sport 1000 Mono with 6,700 miles for £5,995. Only problem is its a single seater, no good if you want a biposto? There was another Mono for sale in yellow a couple of days ago at Finsmotorcycles.co.uk with only 1,600 miles for £5,500 but its disappeared from the website now unfortunately; sold I guess.

Worth keeping an eye on eBay as a couple of Biposto S models have come up in the past month. I remember seeing one of them at £5,500 and the bidding on the second one went a bit mad (over £8,000!) but the sale fell through as it was an international buyer who hadn't fully taken into account the shipping costs. The cheapest classic I've seen was back in 2011 at £3,750 on eBay for another mono in Yellow.

I've had an 06 mono since 2010, great bike!

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your fast response. To be honest I would be happy with a single seat, its more that the biposto is more practical. The one up in Manchester was sold a fair bit ago but they have not taken the ad down.

I figure the higher the miles the more affordable the bike will be. The problem is people don't seem to ride these bikes!!

How do you find it for handling and general riding then?

Ill keep an eye on ebay etc

Rich
Old 04-Jun-2012, 18:49
DSC Club Rep
Montjuic

I found it's quite a stretch to the bars due to the long tank so I put some of the Ducati accessory risers on. I think the 2007 > models came with the risers as standard though. I've also put some new bars on, based on Renthal flat bars (chopped up) that have a fifteen degree bend in them to reduce the reach a little more. It's a lot more comfortable now.

The engine is terrific; pulls like a train from low revs and the gearbox light and sweet. The handling is good but I've had my suspension set up with new (stiffer) springs and damping. The set up is very soft from the factory. The stiffer springs actually absorb bumps and ridges better.

I think most SC's tend to be summer bikes as the chrome, engine paint and lacquer would likely get a beating from a British winter. Check the leading edge of the wheel spokes for corrosion as they are not stainless. They polish up with Autosol but on a high milage bike they could be pitted. Flakey lacquer on the cam covers and peeling paint on the back of the engine also worth looking out for.

Only use premium 98 Texaco/BP/Shell fuel as this fuel doesn't contain ethanol at the moment (but certainly will in the future). The Nylon fuel tanks don't like the water that separates out from ethanol based fuel and they can absorb it and expand. This issue can be fixed by lining the tank with Caswells (there are places that will do it for you) and an effected tank will shrink back if removed and left to dry out indoors over the winter period.

I hope I haven't put you off! Just stuff I've picked up over the last couple of years and nothing some tinkering wouldn't fix. I'm certainly very pleased with mine. That first blast in early March after the winter break is just fantastic! The only thing I can't change is people coming up to ask about it whenever I park up
Old 05-Jun-2012, 10:53

Hi Steve,

Yea a few people have said that about the bars on the older model. Also a few people have said that about the suspension. Good tip with the fuel by the way (I’ll just need to get the bike now!).

I rode this last winter and to be honest it was not the best of experiences so I don’t think I’ll be doing it much this coming winter.

Don’t worry you have not put me off. To be honest is an amazing looking bike that just keeps getting better looking with a few mods. Also if you buy at a good price and look after it from what I can tell it’s better than keeping your money in the bank. I expect I will be able to sell this for exactly what I pay for it in the future.

So do you get a lot of people commenting on your bike then? Quite a few people have said this.

Rich
Old 05-Jun-2012, 15:16
DSC Club Rep
Montjuic

Hi Rich,

I made an error on the fuel there; BP/Texaco/Mobil = good (no ethanol except for the far South West (Devon and Cornwall). Other makes, Supermarkets and all 95RON typically have 5% ethanol. It's not just SC's that have that problem; Monsters, Triumph, BMW, Aprilia and many other plastic tank bikes can suffer too.

I know what you mean about prices, they do vary an awful lot now. I noticed Manchester Ducati have a 1000s up for £11.5k, I think they were 8k new! If you can find one as a dealer trade in (mine was) you might pay a bit less than on an eBay auction. If you haven't already, check out howmanyleft.co.uk for UK numbers, its quite addictive.

It's nice when people come up to ask about the bike. I parked outside my local post office and a chap came up who used to own a Mk1 Guzzi LeMans. Amazing how many bike nuts there are walking around in civvies! You'd not spot them otherwise.