Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Sep-2004, 02:56
Mille
Bikes: 2001 aprillia rsv mille

Mood: my sanity requires a bike
Here here, well said chaps, i came from a 748( written off, oops!!) and it was very good, but the 888 fits me better therefore i feel more comfortable & confident,

plus i'm an old git.

Gordy.

BTW, how come all your avatars are crisp and bright, but mine looks as if the picture was taken through a net curtain??.

[Edited on 30-9-2004 by Gordy]
Old 30-Sep-2004, 09:56
500SD

Gordy

Load your photo into some kind of paint program, click on filters, then click on sharpen. Just mess about with contrast/sharpen/unsharp-mask etc unti it looks right.

(Or just save this one and upload it..!)
Old 30-Sep-2004, 10:03
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Yep.....we are keen arent we . Think the appeal has been covered. My 888 was on display at a stand at the superbike grand national at castle combe last weekend, next to a 748 which had just been fitted with a QB carbon motogp kit and sprayed in marlboro colours - an it didnt get a look in..!!! All sorts were looking at the 888..young and old..having a right good poke around they were and lots of pics being taken. Didnt stop smiling all day !

As I think ive said before, my (jap bike) owning mate summed it up.."your 916 was a pretty, almost feminine bike..but this looks brutal..deffo a blokes bike"!!

The new dukes are great.. I love my S4R..it goes like stink, its a lovely smooth ride, and will no doubt prove to be much more reliable..but it has nowhere near the amount of charachter (and noise!!) my 888 has...and if one had to go...then it wouldnt be too hard a choice !

Think youll be pleased with the falloon book sparkin...it has probably the best 851/888 reference info ive come across in a book with some great pics...theres even a rare 1986 pic of the 748 prototype which went on to become the 851.

Also..did you know that it was (a young) pierre terblanche that did the restyle for the last of the 851/888's with the chiselled tank and cutaway side panels (he did one decent job then..)

Cheers
Nat
Old 30-Sep-2004, 15:39
Mille

Mood: positive energy, man.....
weeveetwin, are you also known as weeveefour on a different forum?
If so have you had any joy with an RC30 yet?
Old 30-Sep-2004, 15:51
500SD

Hi Otto...

Yep, thet's me! I've had a couple of guys wanting to do deals. One with a good RC30 (but he/and the bike are in southern spain, and I don't really want the hassle) and another abroad with a nearly new RC45. I'm in no hurry though - so would rather wait for a UK bike.
Old 30-Sep-2004, 19:42
Big Twin

Mood: This is a carbon free zone!
Quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
They refined it all away.I will prepare myself for the onslaught from the &48/9*6 group!!

I`m surprised the 7*9/9*9 group haven`t bombarded us yet:P with all their new technology and refinements
Old 01-Oct-2004, 13:28
Mille

WVT
It's well worth hanging round for a good 'un as spares etc. tend to be a tad pricier than you might imagine.
I have a Thorsten Durbahn RC30 (check his website) which is pretty funky, and I think is the only one in the UK - 165kg and probably 110-115hp. Feels like a toy, and I love it. And sorry guys, it does sound better than a twin (cue comments from all directions).
Good luck

Otto
Old 01-Oct-2004, 13:44
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Otto Otto Otto
And sorry guys, it does sound better than a twin (cue comments from all directions).
Good luck

Otto

Another BLASPHEMER for stoning!
Old 01-Oct-2004, 15:48
Mille

Hey Sparkin

I'll take you up on that ............ now if you'll just pass the joint!!
No honestly, no matter how loud and deep your bike is, and my SP5 is pretty fruity, it doesnt sound different anymore, just louder and deeper than most other twins. Personally I prefer the sound of a race piped TL1000, but a race piped V4, well that's not something you hear everyday.
A lot of people buy Duke's to have something different, and to be honest, is'nt that the lasting appeal of the 888? Whereas the 916 etc is guilty of it's own success. I don't think I like the idea that Ducati is now a massive brand - the amount of trinketry that you can now buy for your bike is reminiscent of that other american gravy-train "Hardly Worthitson".
Does anybody else share this view, or have you all picked up your chosen weapon???
Old 01-Oct-2004, 20:05
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Otto Otto Otto
A lot of people buy Duke's to have something different, and to be honest, is'nt that the lasting appeal of the 888? Whereas the 916 etc is guilty of it's own success. I don't think I like the idea that Ducati is now a massive brand - the amount of trinketry that you can now buy for your bike is reminiscent of that other american gravy-train "Hardly Worthitson".
Does anybody else share this view, or have you all picked up your chosen weapon???

I can`t agree more with you Otto Speaking to KeefyBoy the other week about his Multistuka(hold my hands up,I had one too and thought it was a lot of fun)but the finish on the engine is appalling and the phrase mentioned was"they`re not hand built anymore,they`re mass-produced,wheel `em in,wheel `em out."Nowadays the "Ducati experiance"is more accessable than it was 10 or so years ago.A freind of mine and a fellow club member(Dodgy 749)previosly had a RSVmille and was reluctant to own a Ducati for the "Hardly Worthitson"reason you mentioned,turning Ducati into a fashion accessory,but I think that`s already happened

I`m ready for the onslaught