Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-Apr-2005, 18:52
Mille

Mood: On the mend!
Servicing Question

According to the book the service coupon "C" says 20000km or 24 months. On this service the belts need adj. which obviously puts up the cost. The bike is just out of warranty by the way.
With just 3000 miles on the clock does it really need this service or would the simple 10000km service suffice?

Thanks in advance.
Old 28-Apr-2005, 18:55
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
I guess that's your choice, it's out of warranty so technically if you didn't comply with the recommended service schedule it would make no difference, although Ducati have been known to honour some work outside of warranty (gesture of goodwill).

Have you had your belts replaced at all? I seem to recall it's x miles or every two years anyway
Old 28-Apr-2005, 19:09
500SD

Mood: Out with the grey....in with the satin black
I was in the same situation. Had a 'minor' service + belt change as recommended by official Ducati dealer/ service centre (Pro Twins). Cost about £330
Old 29-Apr-2005, 00:12
Mille

Mood: On the mend!
Well Bridge in Exeter quoted £350 incl for minor service Riders in Bridgwater £470 + vat + consumables. Some difference. They wanted 0ver £600 + for a major service.

Going to give Motorapido and Luigi a call tomorrow.

How common are belt failures on a 2 yr old 3000 mile 999 anyway?
Old 29-Apr-2005, 00:20
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

The logic of changing the timing belts every two years escapes me.

The only explanation that I can come up with is that without SOME time limit, the timing belts would drop off the owners maintenance radar scope. The usual reasons for maintenance on a time schedule, don’t seem to apply here.

For example, for oil changes when the manufacturer specifies a time criteria, they're telling you that if you ride every day, but for only short trips to work, your riding habits subject the oil to a more severe service so you should use time, not mileage, as a guide. If you ride 100 miles a week, but do it in ten trips, you should use time, not mileage as your criteria.

Motorcycle riding is often different. If you ride only for pleasure once a week for 100 miles, then you should use mileage, not time as your change criteria.

Timing belts are made of kevlar-reinforced rubber, much like some tires that have no such time limit on their replacement. It’s easy to understand a mileage limit on timing belts since (except under unusual usage) it correlates directly to cyclic fatigue and wear.

So what’s so special about timing belts that they need replacement on a time schedule?

If you buy a new bike and then put it your private collection and don’t ride it for two years do you have to replace the belts? Of course not. Conversely, if you have a track bike that lives at the red-line don’t wait to change your belts until 12,000 miles is up.

You need to use your common sense here.
Old 29-Apr-2005, 00:22
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by ttstu

I don't know but do you really want to be finding out? Whats the cost of the belts compared to replacing all the bits that go with them?

Just worth a thought maybe?
Old 29-Apr-2005, 00:34
Big Twin

Quote:
Well Bridge in Exeter quoted £350 incl for minor service Riders in Bridgwater £470 + vat + consumables. Some difference. They wanted 0ver £600 + for a major service.

Going to give Motorapido and Luigi a call tomorrow.

Try Dyno map (Italian motorcycles ) of crediton they do all my work and are good and fair

phone number is 01363774499 tell them Adrian Retallack refered you.

Old 29-Apr-2005, 09:14
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally posted by Shazaam!
The logic of changing the timing belts every two years escapes me.

The only explanation that I can come up with is that without SOME time limit, the timing belts would drop off the owners maintenance radar scope. The usual reasons for maintenance on a time schedule, don’t seem to apply here.

For example, for oil changes when the manufacturer specifies a time criteria, they're telling you that if you ride every day, but for only short trips to work, your riding habits subject the oil to a more severe service so you should use time, not mileage, as a guide. If you ride 100 miles a week, but do it in ten trips, you should use time, not mileage as your criteria.

Motorcycle riding is often different. If you ride only for pleasure once a week for 100 miles, then you should use mileage, not time as your change criteria.

Timing belts are made of kevlar-reinforced rubber, much like some tires that have no such time limit on their replacement. It’s easy to understand a mileage limit on timing belts since (except under unusual usage) it correlates directly to cyclic fatigue and wear.

So what’s so special about timing belts that they need replacement on a time schedule?

If you buy a new bike and then put it your private collection and don’t ride it for two years do you have to replace the belts? Of course not. Conversely, if you have a track bike that lives at the red-line don’t wait to change your belts until 12,000 miles is up.

You need to use your common sense here.

And how can a time limit apply if you were to buy, say, a 2003 749, pdi'd in March 03 but sold March 04, when is the 2 yr for belt change needed, March 05 or March 06 eh Deeseered, Does the dealer change the belts if he has a bike in showroom for 2 years?, i doubt it.
Old 29-Apr-2005, 09:31
888 at Last !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by TP
Quote:

I don't know but do you really want to be finding out? Whats the cost of the belts compared to replacing all the bits that go with them?

Just worth a thought maybe?

I agree with TP. Big £££££ if the belts go.

Clint.
Old 29-Apr-2005, 09:33
Mille

Mood: Got the S - waiting for the Termi's
The consequenses of a belt slipping due to tension problems doesn't bear thinking about - inside OR outside of warranty.
The top end will be destroyed.

Even if a bike is unused for 2 years the belts will have sat on pulleys for a long time and may become distorted....used or un-used the recommendation is to change belts every 2 years to obviate issues with degradation.