Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 02-Aug-2005, 09:41

New Ducati 1100 ??

Last night I got round to watching the Eurosport coverage of the 250 GP race from Sunday. During a quiet part of the race the commentators started discussing the "prettiest race bikes". As usual the old 999 doesn't look at good as the 998 discussion arose, at which point both commented that the "New Ducati will be interesting as it will be a hybrid in style between the 748 and the 999, and it is rumoured to be 1100 cc".

Anyone else picked this up? Whats the story, is there a new Ducati sports bike in the pipeline, other than the MotoGP rep?

Would be very strange to increase capacity if the bike is to be raced, 1100cc would put it out of contention for superbike racing.

I rewound the tape a couple of times to make sure I was not mishearing something, but wasn't.

When I was at the factory a few weeks ago, I saw the first of the Paul Smart bikes coming off the production line. At that stage I asked the Ducati guide what the plans were for the 999 and they told me that after the 2005 restyle that will be it for a couple of years. Having said that, I suppose if there were plans for a replacement they would hardly say much during a factory tour !
Old 02-Aug-2005, 09:46
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
1100 cc is very easy to achieve using the stroke from the longer stroke bike and the bore from the larger bore bike. Again, so ive heard, jhp has allready done this.................
Old 02-Aug-2005, 09:58
Mille

Mood: Got the S - waiting for the Termi's
This have been in the press for a few months.

Makes sense - the 999 will be increasingly uncompetitive in Superbike racing (production based) so the Superbike will be based upon the soon to be released Desmoseidici and the 999 will become a road only 1100.
Old 02-Aug-2005, 10:47
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
From what I have heard Ducati have approached FGSport and asked for 1100cc twins as the 999 isn't competitive, although it's won a race or two so far

And as FGSport is an Italian company you can see where this is going.

Personally I don't think it's a good move, why anyone needs more than 1000cc superbike is beyond me, and us mere mortals can't use 160Hp anyway
Old 02-Aug-2005, 11:29
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
I agree with JPM - seems a daft move. Keep the 999 and 749 format for road bikes, and use the Seidici for Superbike racing and the "flagship" model.

Leaves the Supersport area knackered though, unless they do a 750 V4...
Old 02-Aug-2005, 11:36
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
I think the 1100 idea is so that the 999 can stay on the pace as the fours get quicker over time, or to give the same power as the 999 but in a lower state of tune so that they can run the same engine rules as the fours.

As for road bikes it could just be the same power with more grunt
Old 02-Aug-2005, 12:08
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Quote:
Originally posted by JPM
From what I have heard Ducati have approached FGSport and asked for 1100cc twins as the 999 isn't competitive, although it's won a race or two so far

And as FGSport is an Italian company you can see where this is going.

Personally I don't think it's a good move, why anyone needs more than 1000cc superbike is beyond me, and us mere mortals can't use 160Hp anyway

Talking to a top Ducati guy at Silverstone he said that they don't want to use the Sedici in superbikes, they want to stick to the twins since that is their main production. But they also want to be competitive and as the fours get faster this is getting more and more difficult.
I guess the threat is that if FGSport don't let them have a capacity increase they will just wheel out the Sedici since it will be homologated-don't think the Japanese factories will like that. The other point to consider here is that the Sedici won't be usable in MotoGP after the end of next year since capacity is being reduced to 800cc-makes you think don't it?

John

[Edited on 2-8-2005 by Monty]
Old 02-Aug-2005, 12:23
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Never thought of it like that - wow
Old 02-Aug-2005, 12:37
BSB Star

Blimey, now that would be interesting, fielding their GP bike in WSBK... I'm sure Honda and the others could easily do them same tho.
Old 02-Aug-2005, 12:39
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
If Foggy can get the FP1 into WSB without actually selling any Ducati being an Italian Factory entering effectively an Italian run championship won't have any issues