Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Sep-2005, 21:53
Montjuic

749R slipper clutch (2004)

Back In June I picked up a 2800 mile lovely 749R dropping down from my GSXR1000K3, I was really looking forward to the new Ducati (I have owned a few so knew what I was letting my self in for well thought I did LOL).

I was only a short distance from the dealer and realised the clutch was a bag of SH###.

I rode the bike home 160 mile and contacted my local ish dealer Woods.

Without seeing the bike they committed to replacing the clutch under warranty (a known problem). Well i have just managed to get the work completed after nearly 7 weeks waiting for parts grrrrrrrr and will pick the bike up this weekend.

Oh and i complained to Ducati UK about the infrequent cutting out and they have agreed to adjust the CO between cyclinders for free.

I can not understand why the previous owner did not have this work done and why Ducati ever let it leave the factory like that.

Anyway thats my rant over nice to meet you guys.

Regards

DaveO
Old 30-Sep-2005, 22:37
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Some parts like the clutch on your 749r is a cheap compromise to homologate for racing.

If it has a slipper as std(albeit a cheap basic thing), the race bike can have one( a singing and dancing no expense spared).
note........buy an aftermarket proper one.

How a bike is running is sometimes down to personal interpretation. He may well not of realised how bad it was..................
Old 30-Sep-2005, 22:44
Big Twin

Mood: I've just ordered a new bike and its a ..
Jesus,you should try a 748R!!!

To go from a K3 GRXR 1000 to wot u have now is very challenging,but you will try much harder on a underpowered feeling Ducati,dont be fooled,you might just get overtaken on the straights but you will catch up and out break and control your position everyware else.TRUST ME.

PS I've got an R1 too.

Wot do you all think Chaps???
Old 30-Sep-2005, 23:01
888 at Last !!!

Welcome
Old 01-Oct-2005, 13:51
Montjuic

Thanks for the welcome guys

Although I agreed with andy about the clutch being a compromise between racing and the road to be honest I am a little unsure as to how much better the race clutches really are (having ridden both road and race bikes). For example if you have ever ridden a ZX10R on road and track you have to agree the slipper clutch fitted as standard is very very good.

My understanding is Ducati originally got the 04 749R slipper clutch wrong and have hopefully fitted a proper one I will soon find out.

Of course how the bike is running is sometimes personal interpretation but when the bike stops at traffic lights and filtering no matter who you are its wrong and in my opinion a danger to the rider.

I have traded down from the 1000k3 knowing what I am getting with the 749R I have had a few Ducatis including a 900SL many moons ago and one of the very first 748SP models in the country back in 1995 (cost me more than 11500 GBP then lol).

The reason i changed was the more recent bikes i have lost interest in quickly and felt i wanted something that was a little more ermmmmmm exotic and therefore something to cherish.

Thanks again for the welcome maybe i'll meet up with you guys soon on a ride or a trackday.

Regards

DaveO
Old 01-Oct-2005, 14:07
Mille

Mood: He's not happy {:o( He's back at sea!
Quote:
The reason i changed was the more recent bikes i have lost interest in quickly and felt i wanted something that was a little more ermmmmmm exotic and therefore something to cherish.

Yup perfect reason for purchase, it can be all all but if it's a UJM it hasn't got what it takes.

Ains.
Old 01-Oct-2005, 20:25
Montjuic

Mood: Beer please !
Hi DaveO,Welcome. Im in Northwich Cheshire,Theres a meet on 5th Oct Wed (If anyones going this month !!)give us a call if you local.07973657473.
Old 02-Oct-2005, 16:03
Montjuic

Hi Brian

I live in Sunny Southport (well not today lol) and work in Runcorn, I may be up for a meet depends what time and the venue I have a Spanish class at 19:00.

JUst picked the R this morning from Woods and the clutch seems much better I need to get out over the dales to really find out.

Hasta Luego
Old 02-Oct-2005, 16:15
Mille

Mood: Got the S - waiting for the Termi's
That must make TWO 749Rs in Northwich then.....small world
Old 02-Oct-2005, 16:16
Mille

Mood: Got the S - waiting for the Termi's
Dave - I think I've seen your 749R on site at Runcorn....do you know Alan Gardner ?

[Edited on 2-10-2005 by UKRR]