Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Nov-2005, 21:39
Big Twin

749R Owners, pleas read re: standard slipper clutch problems

As some of you might be aware, I'm picking up a new 04MY 749R soon

I've been talking with Ian (iang from the forum) about problems that owners have experienced with the standard slipper clutch, and having it replaced under warranty, he's experienced it himself, and knows several R owners who have also...

I don't think there has been a recall regarding the slipper, so I called DUK in Milton Keynes today, spoke to a pleasant lady who said she would check and call me back.
She did (to my surprise), and after consulting with her "chief technician", told me that only 10 749Rs in the country had been affected, and dealers had been notified about which bike were at fault. I was a bit skeptical about this, and wanted to find out other 749R owners experiences, the idea being that I don't have to take the bike back 100 miles if there is a general problem with the slippers.

Mine is number 535 if it makes any difference.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

Old 08-Nov-2005, 21:58
Mille

where did you eventually buy it from,was it Ducati bristol? when you get going you will have to have a bash up to abergavenny.

Good luck
Mark
Old 08-Nov-2005, 22:00
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by mark749s
where did you eventually buy it from,was it Ducati bristol? when you get going you will have to have a bash up to abergavenny.

Good luck
Mark

Yep, Ducati Bristol persuaded me to get into more debt than I can probably handle...but it'll keep me smiling for a while!

We will definitely have a run soon, I usually pop over to Abergavenny via Brecon
Old 08-Nov-2005, 22:05
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
mine was replaced under warantee, it is pretty clear when it happens and fairly easy to provoke. You could also call JHP and ask them what they check when then do the work, then get your dealer to check it for you.
Old 08-Nov-2005, 22:12
Mille

Mood: Got the S - waiting for the Termi's
Yes - my slipper slips too much.

Its been back to the dealers and is less noticable now but will still occasionally freewheel into corners.
It tends not to be a problem if you are quite agressive with the downshifts..........happens more when you drop a couple of gears just to steady the bike for a corner.
Most people will tell you that the standard unit is a low grade slipper to homologate the bike and that you must replace it with a more expensive version - STM or Bucci.
Old 08-Nov-2005, 22:59
888 at Last !!!

I heard that all the first 749R's have that problem.
It's just a matter of replacing the slipper clutch with a new one (i hope...)
Old 14-Nov-2005, 09:47

Ahh....Metoo! I've got an 04 and lived with the 'glitch' for 12 months. Must admit that the first time the slipper malfunctioned, I almost shitit. Well, you all know the sinking feeling, boring into an apex in 'neutral'. Finally got it fixed at the 10000klm service and was told that the 'pre-load', pushrod I guess, was adjusted? And now after another 500klm's the problem hasn't reoccured.