Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 10-Oct-2006, 23:43
Big Twin

Mood: #65 Double Desmo Due Champion - Class B 2007, Class A 2009
Andys Cadwell Report (even longer one)

Andy’s Cadwell Report

Friday night was a bit of a shocker, the bike wouldn’t start. I hadn’t run her since Snett and she having none of it??

Saturday, I decided to have a ride over to Cadwell on the 900ss to see how everyone was getting on and watch some racing. Had a good day getting know everyone in the paddock a milling around. As Fil2 said ‘it was wiered watching the racing’ feeling you should be out there dicing with everyone. Well done to all the winners on Saturday and to Ian for taking the lap record. It was also good to analyse Domski’s dominant racing style and pick up some pointers.

I got back Saturday evening and the bike started, phew. I left her running for a while and the rough idle improved as the engine warmed up. I think a combination of cold engine and old fuel. We proceeded to load the bike and car up for the day ahead.

Sunday came quickly and we arrived struggling to find parking space. Again, the bike ran roughly and smoothed out as it got warmer. I got to the holding area really early for timed-practice to ensure a good position out, but was soon swamped by all the other bikes jumping the queue…I eventually went out mid pack, struggling to string a clean lap without having to pass someone and the result showed it, 6th in class on the 5th row of the grid, bit of a reality shock after a front row pole at Snetterton.

Race one came round quickly and I wanted to make ground and have a good start, it seems my starts are not my best points, after nearly doing a back-flip at Snetterton!! The guy with the flag pointed at the lights……..and they weren’t on?? I was ready to go and the bl**dy lights weren’t on yet?? I dropped the revs a little and the lights lit up and flashed off…….damn….missed the start again…..Bones, beside had gone? I had a really ragged lap pushing and diving and braking trying to make time. I wasn’t the only-one either, Ian Leah came by one the straight as there were three 583’s side-by-side on Park straight, he was pushed nearly onto the grass!! I wanted to try following him through the field, but his bike was too fast for my little 583 and I had to make some sacrifices. Approaching the mountain, there was another shuffle ahead and I had to hit the brakes hard or take out Skidlids ahead. The front squealed and washed out…. I was down? This was my first crash on a bike, ever?? Falling off a moving bike is wiered, you fall as you fall over, but then try to stand-up only to cart-wheel back over as your still moving???…. I rushed to the tyre wall to get over the shock, then to the bike to see if we can carry on, for a ride. No chance, the gear lever was broken, so it was pushed back to our pit nearby. I was sore, my leg and shoulder hurt where I went down. The bike was badly scuffed on the fairing, but only the gear lever broken. After the race ended I went in search for a replacement in the paddock, everyone was asking how I was and if they could help, it was really re-assuring. Butch went out his way to find someone with a race-shift lever, but when we passed my pit my Dad and brother-in-law had already made a stock lever fit up-side-down.

After some rest, cleaning of leathers and hearing of an almighty crash in the Carts, we were out for race two. This time I wanted to stay out of trouble and finish. I was unsure of the feel for the lever so had a little run round the paddock to make some adjustments. By this race, I realised the delay with the start signal and was ready to go, making a much better start, Bones was still gone?? I held back for the first couple of laps and then started to make my way through the field. There was some really quick 583’s out there and I noticed just how well/hard everyone was riding today! I had to make some essential late braking at Park a couple of times to over take people. I could see Griff64 ahead and was aiming for a tow down the straight, I was tucked in behind him revving the head off my bike and we were both travelling at the exact same speed (I’m glad to see our bikes so equally matched for speed), I thought, this is the last lap, I have to out-brake him, which I did into Park and then proceeded to pass Ali at the entry to the Gooseneck to ensure Griff wouldn’t be able to pass back easily. I won Class B, my family were chearing, I was so pleased but also so knacked as it was a hard race come from about seven 583 places behind. I got back to the pits to be greated with chears and grins from all my family and friends like Kwickbitch and Nelly, thanks guys…

What I did notice this weekend was that the 583’s had a very close race within the grid of 620’s and that was good for the 583 Class B grid… Well done to everyone who got awards and especially Dom Clegg, that grin you had when you collected your awards was priceless mate…

We have long plans for DD, 583 next year, then 620 in 07. I can’t wait…

Thanks to my Dad for helping with the bike and coming along to all the meetings, thanks to my wife Tracey and daughter Keely for putting up with my relentless time in the garage and at Nelly’s. Thanks to Mum for worrying and to everyone in the DD paddock, your all such great people, the website just doesn’t relate to the racing days??

Till next year

Andy
Old 10-Oct-2006, 23:48
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Well done Andy

ANOTHER race win

...where do these newbies come from???

Congrats on an impressive (half) season. Thank god you're staying put next year.

Old 10-Oct-2006, 23:50
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally Posted by andys 900ss
Approaching the mountain, there was another shuffle ahead and I had to hit the brakes hard or take out Skidlids ahead. The front squealed and washed out…. I was down? This was my first crash on a bike, ever?? Falling off a moving bike is wiered, you fall as you fall over, but then try to stand-up only to cart-wheel back over as your still moving???…. I rushed to the tyre wall to get over the shock, then to the bike to see if we can carry on, for a ride. No chance, the gear lever was broken, so it was pushed back to our pit nearby. ...

Hi Andy, just so you know for next time ... don't bother running over, we're not allowed to restart after crashing so you may as well get a comfy seat and watch the show.

I crashed heading into the chicane at the first round this year at Cadwell (lap 2!), and after I'd limped to the side of the track I had a gransdstand view of the rest of the race.

Great report though, and well done. I'm impressed with how you've rolled up and starting kicking asses! Rock on!
Old 10-Oct-2006, 23:52
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP
Hi Andy, just so you know for next time ... don't bother running over, we're not allowed to restart after crashing so you may as well get a comfy seat and watch the show.

I crashed heading into the chicane at the first round this year at Cadwell (lap 2!), and after I'd limped to the side of the track I had a gransdstand view of the rest of the race.

Great report though, and well done. I'm impressed with how you've rolled up and starting kicking asses! Rock on!

Yeah,

I had to fall off in front of the bl**dy grand stand, eh..

Cheers guys

Andy
Old 10-Oct-2006, 23:53
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by domski
Well done Andy

ANOTHER race win

...where do these newbies come from???

Congrats on an impressive (half) season. Thank god you're staying put next year.

Wait till you see our 620

Er, its in five boxes at the mo...

Andy
Old 10-Oct-2006, 23:54
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by andys 900ss
Wait till you see our 620

Er, its in five boxes at the mo...

Andy

Did you buy it from TP?

Old 10-Oct-2006, 23:54
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by domski
Did you buy it from TP?

Mine was in one box!

It was a large box though ...
Old 10-Oct-2006, 23:55
MotoGP God

<-------------- It looks good though!
Old 10-Oct-2006, 23:58
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Nice report Andy, congrats on the race 2 win and thanks for not wiping me out in race 1, I knew somebody had gone down behind me when I heard the scraping followed by the thud as my rear wheel was hit sending me onto the grass, took me a while to find out it was you who had crashed glad you and the bike weren't to badly damaged.

I for one am glad you joined the series along with the likes of Griff and Fil2 last year I am really impressed with your racing and look forward to seeing more of it, you get one hell of a close up from where i'm sitting.

Kev

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 11-Oct-2006, 00:03
Big Twin

Hey, cheers, once again, for selling me your bike Kev.

Looks like the 620's gonna have to wait even longer now...

Sorry I slightly punted you, but I was determined not to take you out after promising no hard moves...

Andy