Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-May-2009, 14:41
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Question Road tyre Brands....why so few?

I've been thinking..........

In recent years there has been an explosion in car road tyre brands from the cheapy whoflungdung ditchfinders to those that have established themselves in motorsport, e.g Kumho

While people seem happy to try some alternatives on four wheels motorcylists appear to stick with their fave brands. People either swear by or swear at Dunlop, Pirelli, Michelin, etc, etc.

I can't even bring myself to change from Pirelli to Dunlop, never mind anything else.

Why is it so hard for new bike tyre brands to get established/accpeted, are bikers just more fiercely brand loyal or is it simply because even if you choose some cr*p tyres for your car it's you can't hurt yourself by falling off unlike on a bike? Do bikers prefer reassuringly expensive

With more and more bike series at the highest level using a control brand is this likely to continue or will the bike tyre market have more variety similar to the car side in the not too distant future?

Ray
Old 28-May-2009, 15:07
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
These are what you want Ray
http://www.motorbikestoday.com/featu...ured_tyres.htm

even cheap enough for DD
http://www.bikersweb.co.uk/features/...?ArticleId=548

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 28-May-2009, 19:28
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Hmmmm, those coloured tyres never really took off did they, can't understand why

Maybe a great idea though for motoGP no need to wait for the tyre sheets to come up to commentary, different compounds in different colours

I can hear it now...............the red tyres on Stoner's bike are faster than the yellow on Rossi's

Ray
Old 28-May-2009, 19:44
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
You're right Ray, anything black and round goes on a car, not many who are precious about car tyres. I don't find myself asking about grip levels, wet performance and wear rate, just 'how much mister?'

Just got a tyre for my daughters Yaris- less than £40 fitted. How can you justify £150 for a bike tyre, you can't tell me the ingredients are so radically different and expensive, surely the production cost is the key proportion of the total build cost, we are being royally riped off.

I tried Avon,s when No Limits were sponsored by them. The front was sound, didn't feel any difference to Pirelli and the rear was great until very hot when it went vague.

Going to be switching to Dunlops if I ever do enough days this year to wear out the tyres I have on!!!

WeeJohnyB
Old 09-Jun-2009, 15:03
Mille
Bikes: Ducati ST2

Mood: Fruity
I use Maxxis supermaxx on my ST2, about £90 for the pair! I had Michelin pilot road (£200~) before that and I can honestly say they perform the same at least on the road, I've not yet taken this set on track.
Old 09-Jun-2009, 21:43
Montjuic

The cheapest tyre i've tried so far were Avons sport and sport touring. they lasted forever but I never felt totaly confident in their ability.
Pirelli/Michelin/Bridgestone install more confidence. I like the Pilot road 2 sport touring tyre the most but i'm tempted to try Dunlops sport touring next time
As far as cars go I'm happy with the less expensive hankook type price range.

Errol.