Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 11-Dec-2009, 18:36
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith888

Remember the ozone hole? We came pretty close to destroying a highly important protective layer of the planet so saying that nothing we do will influence the planet is somewhat unjustified.

Keith

ps I am a Scientist and have never manipulated data and rarely thrown teddies.

Keith

I have re-read what I posted and can see how it comes across.

I didn't mean to imply that nothing we do will influence the planet, rather that nothing we do will influence the long-term always happening changes that have happened throughout the life of the planet, whether there was human life here or not.

Yes of course we can make a difference to the dramatic changes we are seeing.
Old 11-Dec-2009, 20:44
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban996

What does appear to be the case is that the rate of climate change is accelerating, and that is more likely as a result of the impact of 20th/21st century industrialisation.

And the Deforestation over a even longer period hasn't helped

My view might not be up everyones street but its about time the powerstations that burn oil and coal were replaced with Nuclear power plants.
Looks like they will have to be Fission reactors as JET have spent decades on researching Fusion and made little progress towards producing a sustainable fusion reaction.

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 11-Dec-2009, 21:47
BSB Star

Mood: living my life to the full
I'm confused anyway as "They" said we'd have an Ice age first caused by Global Warming

What will be will be. I can't worry anymore as I've got mega high cholesterol so I'll probably be dead anyway
Old 12-Dec-2009, 00:12
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Hello

Personally I am not convinced anybody really knows what the “global warning” band wagon is really about,
and more concerning what the motives behind western governments to presume we as a human race are incapable to understand.

(advert on TV drive 5 miles less) and ultimately as such must be told you must change your ways.

It appears to me living in the western culture, that indeed modern industrialisation has had an impacted on the world we now inhabit;

maybe there are too many people, what about a global war? Oh we are trying to do that sorry . . .

I am however sceptical the frenzied Buzz words will ever have any real impact on changing people attitudes. (Globally)

However a re-session of global impact will, oh! But we are in that too! ? ? So take heed . . .

Call me a sceptic, but I have also lived in the Far East, India, China these countries are now in excess of 400million people
and I can assure you they are only interested in making a buck and don’t give a flying about global warming,
if they even know what it is . . no disrepect ment to these nations.

If my electrical company wants to give be 4 bulbs that will last until I die, I am happy to indulge,
but fitting these bulbs do I feel like I am making any impact on global warming Hell No ...
as my next month’s electric bill will go up . . Go figure . . .

“Use less as it will be costing you more if you don’t “

Global warming sorry I am not on the band wagon as yet. . But I do know who ever gets in at the next paliament
will push this as a genuine concern while taxing us up to the hilt.

Convince me I am wrong I'am all ears. .

TopiToo

Last edited by TopiToo : 12-Dec-2009 at 00:22.
Old 12-Dec-2009, 13:10
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 916 Senna, 748RS Corse, 1098s Race

Mood: walking on sunshine.....
I'm concerned for our planets health, for my children and their children's generations.

As a generation we have a responsibility to do something don't we?

I cant support turning a blind eye to our impact on the environment. I work in Energy, Oil and Gas, we have concerns about carbon emissions, and are looking to LNG for a cleaner future, Nuclear is another option, that better science will overcome its inherent challenges.

We, as modern nations, should help the B,R,I,C nations industrialize themselves in the least harmful way possible, is that our responsibility? I think so.

Think globally, act locally.

Can one persons actions change things, I like to think so, history has a few good examples too.

Do some research, be aware, have your own view, don't be led by politics and power......
Old 28-Dec-2009, 00:44
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .

Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wood
I'm concerned for our planets health, for my children and their children's generations.
If people were really concerned about climate change, the government would not be encouraging us to buy new cars with cash incentives,
instead of putting the right tins in the correct box.
Quote:
As a generation we have a responsibility to do something don't we?
Yes, but the horse has bolted, and it’s a little too late. The West has been happy to consume
at an alarming rate, mostly due to greed and so it goes on. Case in point what happened in Copenhagen for the G8.
The Chinese and Indian’s sat around a table listening to the West and its proposed ideas to reverse climate change and walked away.
“Maybe thinking the west is responsible and we cannot even agree”

As for the US "major polluters" - Obama will now have to sell the idea to his people. . Good luck to him

Quote:
I can’t support turning a blind eye to our impact on the environment. I work in Energy, Oil and Gas, we have concerns about carbon emissions,
and are looking to LNG for a cleaner future, Nuclear is another option, that better science will overcome its inherent challenges.

But the Chinese, US, Russia and Indian have the biggest coal reserves and are the biggest producing coal regions to date,
and the west cannot get any of these countries onboard.
How do they feel about LNG?
Quote:
We, as modern nations, should help the B,R,I,C nations industrialize themselves in the least harmful way possible, is that our responsibility? I think so.

Think globally, act locally.

Personally how
I see the effect of global change will ultimately have nothing to do with oil in time, as now there is a general migration
of people from war torn/famine countries such as Africa, due to the of lack of food and water, flooding and the displacement of millions of people in places like India,
and ongoing climate change will result in a mass movement of people more interested in basic needs, resulting in ongoing large scale wars.

Who has the biggest army? . . .

Sorry I am not normally all doom and gloom, just thought I would reply.

TopiToo

Old 28-Dec-2009, 09:52
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopiToo

Sorry I am not normally all doom and gloom, just thought I would reply.

TopiToo

Not Doom & Gloom Steve
But other realistic view to what is a global problem
A problem that needs to be tackled on a Global bassis

How much is it going to cost to get a 20% reduction in Carbon Emisions in the UK. If this same amount was spent in the developing Industrial countries would it not give a bigger reduction in Global carbon Emissions.

As a global issue wouldn't it be wise to spend the money where you get the best global return

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 28-Dec-2009, 10:53

Burt Rutan makes a convincing case (and exposes a few 'untruths') and this was before the UEA exposure.

http://rps3.com/Pages/Burt_Rutan_on_Climate_Change.htm
Old 28-Dec-2009, 12:51
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
after a review I read in the telegraph, I've got this for Xmas and started reading it

The real global warming disaster - is the obsession with climate change turning out to be the mostly costly scientific blunder in history? by Christopher Booker

only 1 chapter in but seems a fair balance so far
Old 28-Dec-2009, 18:22
500SD
Bikes: 996 Bip

Mood: CITIUS EST MELIUS!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonio600
What is it with the Brits that they always feel like they're being ripped off by the rest of the world?

Dude, are you refering to that news of funds pledged by European countries? If so, I can read many names of rich nations in there:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8407112.stm

And even though Brown says the UK's promise was the highest (in case that's what you were refering to), French medias are talking about a 50-50 repartition of the UK-France joint promise... So, who knows?

I must say I always try to buy green products. Super unleaded from the green pump is a must for my all of my V8 household appliancies. I've also fitted really expensive platinised catalytic converters to my Ducati, emissions are very low indeed and it makes one whole horsepower!

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit