Ducati Sporting Club UK
Race
MotoGP / WSB / BSB / Local racing.
*** WARNING*** May contain race results!!

Old 01-Dec-2004, 13:06
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by AndyVR6
Yup. The fit for a full-on race suit is very snug and specific, so I wouldn't advise that for general road use. They're a great company, and your £800ish is going into materials and manufacture rather than marketing and retailing. The downside is that you have to visit Louth twice (convenient for Cadwell) and wait a while cos they prefer quality control over company growth. Also, the industrial strength does make them less comfortable for allround road use.

For racing, there's absolutely no comparison against crash-once-then-replace off the peg leathers. Look at and ask around any club racing paddock for proof. Different animal really. Maybe not so relevant if you ride safely on the road, but a definite consideration if into trackdays.

Alternatives are Hideout (nr Cambridge, excellent too), BKS (bigger, more organised, more expensive), MW (London, intentionally lighter built I believe), 9-lives and others.

The £300 Daineses - wasn't that a one-off from the factory last year (usually a staff-only price?) or are they always available at that sort of money when you visit?

Andy

Louth you say! Bit of a mission from Twickenham

I think I'll check out the others as well ...
Old 01-Dec-2004, 14:04
MotoGP God

Not sure what I'm up to this Sat yet - it's my last weekend off before I go away and I promised my Rugby club I'd go down and run the water for the seconds (just like when I'm fit ) so I should get down and do it really. Especially after the club sorted me with tickets for the Eng V Aus game last weekend.

Where are 9 lives?

I've been on the BKS website - holy crap batman, almost twice the price of crowtree although I admit they look like quality kit!

Need to check out 9 Lives now and Carrera.
Old 01-Dec-2004, 14:07
500SD

Mood: Happy as Larry!!!
I've had two sets of race leathers for myself,one for the missus & a couple of jackets from Crowtree,all of which have been faultless!! I'm quite an odd shape(no comments from you please Steve)ie long body/short legs,so i've always found off the peg a non-starter!
I've crashed in them( so as STEVE M,but we don't talk about that!) & walked away unharmed,they offer excellent value for money!!
I would recommend them to anybody!! Don't worry about the drive over to them,it's well worth it!!
Old 01-Dec-2004, 18:54
500SD

Mood: DOH!
TP, I have Carrera, and as Weeksy says, they are top chaps, and they will sell you a set of race leathers for cost. Mine were a tad over £600 with the writing and logo on the back.
You go to the factory to get fitted up, it's in Royston,not too far from you I think.
Call Martin on 07885465599, and tell him I sent you!!

P.S. One of my very good racer friends uses Crowtrees and swears by them, they are also top cheeses, but a bit more expensive than Carrera.

[Edited on 1-12-2004 by desmojen]
Old 01-Dec-2004, 19:09
MotoGP God

Thanks Jen, you're a champ
Old 01-Dec-2004, 19:11
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
What about Scott Leathers? Are they any good?
Old 01-Dec-2004, 19:24
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Tony - if you do go to Nine Lives in Giuldford (3 mins off A3) - We are meeting some others at a cafe just down the road from there this sat. (about half a mile down the road, max)

AK is also going to be popping in there, tho prob early sat by car - to get his 1 piece altered.

C

[Edited on 1-12-2004 by CK and AK]
Old 01-Dec-2004, 19:30
MotoGP God

Well 9 Lives sounds pretty close.

Just have to sort out timings I guess - Rugby KO is at 2:30 but I don't know if they are at home or away yet.

'scuse my ignorance but what time you getting down there Charlotte?
Old 01-Dec-2004, 19:33
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
No, you didn't see BKS leathers on WJB, but you did see MJK

They are available off the peg or made to measure and it'll cost you about the same for a made to measure suit as it would for a standard suit from the likes of Dainese (about £800-£1000 the last time I asked depending on spec)

They're made in Holland I think, but their UK distributor is a company called GLF Factors in Flitwick, Beds (opposite the railway station and about 40 mins from Kings Cross Thameslink). Graham, the owner is a really good bloke and really knowledgable about racing and all things to do with what it takes to make good racing leathers. I can't afford any yet, but I'm going to replace the old Spyke with a set just as soon as I can.
Old 01-Dec-2004, 19:34
MotoGP God

Thanks for the correction Jools

Got a few avenues to go down now - thanks very much peeps, very appreciated.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit