Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 09-May-2005, 19:39

\'Orrible noise on my Multistrada?

Can anybody help me with this one? My MS has done 14.5k miles. Some 2k miles ago I started noticing at highish revs/speeds the bike instead of having a steady noise or beat started sounding undulating like wawawawa.............and on and on. If the clutch is pulled in no noise at all, so can't be chain.
I've scratched my head, taken it to Ducati Leeds who couldn't find anything, certainly not a tight chain but they didn't ride it fast due to the weather and their licences.
There is also a nasty snatchy pinging sound when the power is taken off suddenly. What I'm thinking is the primary drive gears? or something in the drive train outside of the obvious chain of course.
I would quite like to ignore it of course but I'm concerned as it is just out of warranty now plus the safety angle if it does blow.
Any ideas at all? Thanks very much
Old 09-May-2005, 21:42
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Hmm,very difficult to diagnose noises without hearing them yourself.Could be the clutch making the racket,or cush drives in the rear hub.
You say you have checked the chain,are you sure it has'nt got a tight spot?
Old 09-May-2005, 21:47
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Hi Eon, glad to see you here Hope all is well with you & yours.

Was the problem discovered whilst the bike was still in warranty? Just an idea, but if they had been notified & couldnt find the fault, you might get some help from Ducati?

C
Old 09-May-2005, 23:18
Big Twin

Hi Eon! I wondered how long it would take you to get on this site! Great ride on Saturday, glad you got home ok. Have you repaired your mirror yet? The ride back from Alston was unbelieveable, I have done that route home many times but I could not believe how deserted it was I only saw 1 car all the way from Alston to Middleton in Teesdale! and only 4 or 5 from Kirkby Stephen to Devils bridge! How was your route back from Alston?

I didnt realise your bike was still making that noise? I never noticed anything when I rode it a few weeks ago. I have noticed mine poping and crackling on the overun though which it never did until it was serviced recently? Bit strange really as all the exhaust is bog standard on mine. Do you think the sound you are getting could be from the clutch? I notice when you were close behind me I could hear the ducati dry clutch rattle as if you or Tony had a open clutch cover. I cannot remember seeing either of your bikes with such a cover fitted though?

Let me know when youre up for another run out,

Take care

Martin
Old 10-May-2005, 07:58

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm convinced it's more at the front than cush drives or chain. I'm not sure what to do about warranty as I've already tried that route with Ducati Leeds who maintain nothing is wrong.
I don't think it is clutch either as mine feels fine and I have the cover slightly proud for ventilation hence being a little noisier! You wouldn't have noticed Martin unless looking closley.
I'm letting a local independant fettler 'Ducati John' have look and he's promised to give it thorough and fast test run this week I hope.