Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 07-Nov-2011, 19:07

Mood: Frustrated at the forums lack of "Newbie" options, even an Avatar FFS!!!
differences in 748 models...???

Can anyone tell me the difference between a 98 frame and a 02 frame? (Non R Models)

The reason is I crashed my 98 race bike and damaged the frame and I have the chance of an 02 frame. I do know that when I got my R&G bungs there where two options 94-02 & 02 onward. Is this because of a difference in the frame? or a difference in the engine hindering the fitting?

I basically intended just to re frame what I already have but I need to know it will all fit.

The only thing I know is the later models might not have the eccentric head stock as mine does. If this is the case would I need to retain the 02 head stock also?

Any info appreciated.

Gaz.
Old 07-Nov-2011, 19:19
Mille

a 98 frame should have adjustable headset, from memory is was 99 onwards the base 'E' model that didn't have it.

In 02 the fairing sides became smooth like the 998S and the R&G changed to suit. The battery changed on the bigger bike and sometimes that needs changing to smaller battery to fit the sliders.

Otherwise it should be ok. the bigger bikes got 12mm engine mounts

useful thread: http://reviews.ebay.com/DUCATI-748-9...00000004031397
Old 07-Nov-2011, 19:35

Mood: Frustrated at the forums lack of "Newbie" options, even an Avatar FFS!!!
Cheers Jack,

So looking at that link the only thing I would need is 2mm sleeves/inserts for the frame mounts? (fit an old motor in a newer frame)

Do you know if the R&G bungs for all 748 are identical fittings? its only the bung that is shaped/lengthened to accommodate the flush fairing panel?

Gaz.
Old 07-Nov-2011, 19:46
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
I Know the R&G crash bungs that were fited to my 916 year 1996 wouldn't fit my 748RS Year 2000 Frame and would also not fit the 748E (non adjustable headstock model) year 2002 Frame as the diameter of the frame tubes on the later frames is bigger

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook