Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Apr-2017, 17:21
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Brand New Pikes Peak: Went to SLEEP?

All true I'm afraid...

My tour buddy 'Up North' bought the all new Pikes Peak late last year and racked up around 1500 faultless miles before garaging the bike for winter.

Fast forward to our 'warm' spell in March and after a week suffering at work, Saturday finally came and new textiles donned and bike wheeled out to:

Nothing.

Display came alive as expected but no fuel pump noise and bike would not even turn over

Dealership were at an initial loss and the few things they suggested to try all failed, so the bike had to be recovered to their workshops.

Apparently, the bikes 'brain' had gone to sleep.

A Ducati service update has recently been issued with regards to this. Apparently, the key fob has a special reset button that has to be activated against the head of the instrument cluster and the bike will magically come back to life.

I'd HATE the idea of living with a bike with what to me, is an undiagnosed fault that could leave the bike stranded.

"Thats the price of Euro technology" - maybe, not for me then.
Old 18-Apr-2017, 17:53
Bikes: Multistrada 1200s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconic944ss
All true I'm afraid...

My tour buddy 'Up North' bought the all new Pikes Peak late last year and racked up around 1500 faultless miles before garaging the bike for winter.

Fast forward to our 'warm' spell in March and after a week suffering at work, Saturday finally came and new textiles donned and bike wheeled out to:

Nothing.

Display came alive as expected but no fuel pump noise and bike would not even turn over

Dealership were at an initial loss and the few things they suggested to try all failed, so the bike had to be recovered to their workshops.

Apparently, the bikes 'brain' had gone to sleep.

A Ducati service update has recently been issued with regards to this. Apparently, the key fob has a special reset button that has to be activated against the head of the instrument cluster and the bike will magically come back to life.

I'd HATE the idea of living with a bike with what to me, is an undiagnosed fault that could leave the bike stranded.

"Thats the price of Euro technology" - maybe, not for me then.

Yes, it's pretty scary to think a perfectly good and serviceable bike can break down and leave you stranded. I do have it at the back of my mind Curtis at Ducati Notts mentioning something about holding the key against something to get something working..I know for sure he said something about reading the owners manual. And I did, from cover to cover.
Old 18-Apr-2017, 17:57
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Just a reminder to get out and ride it more

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 18-Apr-2017, 21:20
Bikes: Multistrada 1200s

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonye
Just a reminder to get out and ride it more

I'm just setting up some stuff that includes reminders which operates on my iPhone and Akexa. What started off as me thinking of a funny reply is turning into a reminder: "ride the Multi before she dies" reminder for the winter. The only problem is Alexa will probably end up ordering "muesli and a packet of flys"...