Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 12-Jan-2009, 21:23
GTL
Bikes: SS 1000ds

Mood: crashed
Ducati V-One

Twin to Supercharged Single Conversion

Some guys come up with really interesting engine modifications and Bart Crauwels is one of those guys. Bart is currently working on a project that converts a Ducati 1000 DS, a 2 valve air cooled twin, into a supercharged single, using the rear cylinder as the blower. The 498cc single has 15 HP more than the original twin putting out 102 HP at the rear wheel, torque is increased and it runs fine to 10,000 rpm, 2500 rpm over stock. It’s about 30 HP more than the well known Ducati Supermono. The Ducati V-One, as he calls it, is for racetrack use only and when things get sorted out he plans to build 40 of them for customers.

In recent years there have been some custom builders, Roger Goldammer comes to mind, who have replaced the rear cylinder on a V-Twin with a supercharger. Since the cylinder is already an air pump, Bart just used what was already there. Of course, the first question before doing this is whether the blown single will have more power than the twin it’s derived from and the answer, in this case, is yes.

Another cool feature is the air tank under the seat, limited to 40 bars, which is good for a 10 second burst of compressed air when acceleration begins after which the blower’s output kicks in. On deceleration, the tank is recharged. It’s hard to see everything that Bart has done by looking at the photos, I notice an intercooler in the plumbing, too, but overall, I like this a lot.

Big thanks to Hugo for the tip!

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...le-conversion/

Hmmm.... That would be a nice winter project!!
Old 12-Jan-2009, 22:47
GTL

I think I want one, but I just bet I can't afford it!
Old 12-Jan-2009, 23:33
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
forgive my ignorance and I amy be about to be embarrassed......it still has two cylinders tho, cant you remove one and save some weight? or charge both cylinders for more power?
Old 12-Jan-2009, 23:42
GTL

I think the rear cylinder has been modified to be used to compress the air for the front one.
Old 13-Jan-2009, 00:54
GTL
Bikes: SS 1000ds

Mood: crashed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve GD
I think the rear cylinder has been modified to be used to compress the air for the front one.

look again bradders:

Old 13-Jan-2009, 12:31
Mille

Mood: Done with Diesels
Thats really interesting (especially to a compressed air engineer like me), but there has got to be easier (and cheaper) ways to get 100hp out of a DS motor.
Old 13-Jan-2009, 14:19
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wozzap
Thats really interesting (especially to a compressed air engineer like me), but there has got to be easier (and cheaper) ways to get 100hp out of a DS motor.

My thinking exactly, but I love the fact there are people out there exploring all the options. It looks like a lot of extra work / plumbing / expense and the only real bonus I can see it the immediate boost available from the storage tank (a cracking idea).

Having said that we do know that getting a genuine 100rwhp out of a 2v is still an expensive business and not always 100% reliable. 95 is much better target as it's cheaper to get there and the extra 5bhp is all but unnoticeable in the real world.
Old 13-Jan-2009, 14:36
GTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
My thinking exactly, but I love the fact there are people out there exploring all the options. It looks like a lot of extra work / plumbing / expense and the only real bonus I can see it the immediate boost available from the storage tank (a cracking idea).

Having said that we do know that getting a genuine 100rwhp out of a 2v is still an expensive business and not always 100% reliable. 95 is much better target as it's cheaper to get there and the extra 5bhp is all but unnoticeable in the real world.
You hit the nail on the head, there, Ali....
Old 13-Jan-2009, 16:30
GTL

Mood: Older, but none the bleedin' wiser
Keep up people

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/sh...ght=compressor

I saw this in the flesh in Belgium, when taking final_editions RC30 that Bart bought from him. Very trick!

I think it was running Audi sensors for the boost etc.

Last edited by ducati dad : 13-Jan-2009 at 16:34.
Old 13-Jan-2009, 16:48
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wozzap

You're right, but using the vertical cylinder 'in reverse' as a compressor is an ingenious idea. In essence, it's a very simple idea, the difficult bit is doing all the calculations and prototyping, but it doesn't seem to require hugely complex components and should be easy to replicate once all the prototyping is done - although it will always be expensive, if it ever sees production, because it's such a niche product.

One of the other advantages of doing things this way instead of just lopping off a cylinder, is that you preserve the primary balance instead of mucking about with dummy conrods or balance shafts

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^