Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 16-Feb-2009, 19:45
500SD

Mood: Moto Guzzi are the new Ducati??
Thumbs up Starting from the back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily
interesting.

I would have concern over newbies being gridded at the front, especially if we have a mixed grid.

Previous experience of this approach means that you can request to move back on the grid if you are novice etc and not comfortable, I just wonder how many will actually do this if it is allowed.

Other than that - seems ok for me, I am **** at qualifying anyway

Experienced the 'Fast Guys from the back of the Grid' thingy when I started racing at Aintree.
Championship leaders dont muck about when there are points at stake and a novice in the way!!! Regular upsets!!!
Someone suggested last year that 1st race grids could be decided by championship standings after the previous round.
I feel the least contentious way of doing it!!!!....and safer too!!
Old 16-Feb-2009, 20:40
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
In my day grids were always drawn! they were scary & there were incidents it's a step backwards IMO.
Old 16-Feb-2009, 21:58
Mille
Bikes: 500 Pantah, TT2, 749R, 944ssie, Rickman Kwak 1170, Yam 1200 Super Ten

Mood: The Older I get the Faster I Was!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz
In my day grids were always drawn! they were scary & there were incidents it's a step backwards IMO.

I'd echo that........many a time I've been rammed up the rear whilst push starting on a drawn grid. IMO Better to settle in at your own pace than thrash around in a 'race', holding ya breath for the first 4 or 5 laps.
Old 16-Feb-2009, 22:12
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
My first ever race I drew front row in a SOT race, luckily with the Derby Phoenix process if you were uncomfortable with it you could pick again and i ended up on last row which suited me fine.

My concern up above was around egos and some of the newer riders not maybe realising just how fast some folks are off the grid.

I would love to be front row (and I have been in a genuine race ) but with my starts these days I would not be that comfortable with it.

Having said that, if it is a qualifying race then there is no real need for silly starts as it's all about best lap time and that is never going to be first lap from a standing start. The fast boys will make it to the front anyway so it should not be an issue.
Old 16-Feb-2009, 22:31
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by uteboy
Would be interested to know the format of the "free" practice warm up regarding whether its loads of different classes all mixed up. Horrible if it is.
That's club racing, and you must learn to cope with other riders at some time or another, and during practice is better than during a race.

Personally, I think the banzai attitude to qualifying does not fit with club racing, and I will support any plan to get people to think about finishing a session without crashing, as it mucks up the session for not only everybody else on track at the time, but also the officials and the people queueing for the next session.
You all know who you are, and we all know who you are cos you smell of epoxy

If you fast blokes (I hate you all equally ) dont know how to overtake slower riders safely, its about time you learned !
Old 16-Feb-2009, 22:59
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 916 Senna, 748RS Corse, 1098s Race

Mood: walking on sunshine.....
I think it works.

As Lily said, it isn't a race, it's practice, just adjust your mentality to suit. The formation lap prior gives everyone a chance to get warm tyres too. Lessens the chance of first lap offs due to cold tyres maybe.

IMHO it will help people really think about putting in a good lap, and a good time. I have backed off to find space in the past, and put in a lap that has moved me well up the grid, rather than battling in qualy, which slows you down.

Anything to make the days run smoother, well done to NE for thinking about it.

Potentially getting 4 DD sessions on track in one day is great value.
Old 17-Feb-2009, 07:18
GTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_h
That's club racing, and you must learn to cope with other riders at some time or another, and during practice is better than during a race.

Personally, I think the banzai attitude to qualifying does not fit with club racing, and I will support any plan to get people to think about finishing a session without crashing, as it mucks up the session for not only everybody else on track at the time, but also the officials and the people queueing for the next session.
You all know who you are, and we all know who you are cos you smell of epoxy

If you fast blokes (I hate you all equally ) dont know how to overtake slower riders safely, its about time you learned !
My postie now thinks I'm doolally 'cos he walked by the window whilst I was laughing at that!
Old 17-Feb-2009, 08:31
500SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily
My first ever race I drew front row in a SOT race, luckily with the Derby Phoenix process if you were uncomfortable with it you could pick again and i ended up on last row which suited me fine.

My concern up above was around egos and some of the newer riders not maybe realising just how fast some folks are off the grid.

I would love to be front row (and I have been in a genuine race ) but with my starts these days I would not be that comfortable with it.

Having said that, if it is a qualifying race then there is no real need for silly starts as it's all about best lap time and that is never going to be first lap from a standing start. The fast boys will make it to the front anyway so it should not be an issue.

i had the same thing when i entered the open race (for a fiver or soemthing daft like that!) at Donington in 2007 - it was drawn on race numbers so i was front row with my number 6, with a load of gixer thous etc behind me - no thanks.

i popped up to race control and it was all sorted out, i was able to start from the back. in the end i was too knackered to bother so it was all academic
Old 19-Feb-2009, 15:19
500SD

Talking How far back do we have to go for that then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz

You had a day......?
Old 19-Feb-2009, 15:21
500SD

Carification please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wood
I think it works.

As Lily said, it isn't a race, it's practice, just adjust your mentality to suit. The formation lap prior gives everyone a chance to get warm tyres too. Lessens the chance of first lap offs due to cold tyres maybe.

IMHO it will help people really think about putting in a good lap, and a good time. I have backed off to find space in the past, and put in a lap that has moved me well up the grid, rather than battling in qualy, which slows you down.

Anything to make the days run smoother, well done to NE for thinking about it.

Potentially getting 4 DD sessions on track in one day is great value.

So the grid will be decided on fastest laps in the qualifying race not on the race result?