Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Jan-2006, 11:40
DaveB916

Looking fantastic, but I think a larger tyre warmer will be needed !!!

What went into the engine??
Old 03-Jan-2006, 11:47
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveB916
Looking fantastic, but I think a larger tyre warmer will be needed !!!

Rob; that's looking stunning already! Great work, looking forward to coming down and seeing her in the summer.

Ali
Old 03-Jan-2006, 11:51
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
Thanks guys. You all know the hours it takes to do silly, non standard stuff.

Ali, Kettle's always warm.

Dave, engine was fettled by Alan S and now has Cosworth Hi Comp pistons, Arrow 21mm Ti rods, full balance, 431 inlets and G exhausts, STM cam pullys, STM 48 tooth ally basket. Nothing to radical but it should give it the "S" character I was looking for.

Rgds, Rob
Old 03-Jan-2006, 11:53
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
That is gorgeous

....if only...if only...one day
Old 03-Jan-2006, 12:52
Ducati Meccanica

Jools,

Good to see you posting again.

Started as a Strada, but always intended it to be a project. This was as I picked her up a coupld of years ago.

Rgds, Rob
Old 03-Jan-2006, 14:34
DaveB916

Nice engine spec. Rob I can give you an idea of how it should perform, Alan did a similar thing to my old Senna when the belts decided to go AWOL.

Sadly did not put in Ti rods but SP heads with G cams etc. slightly bigger valves, vernier cam timing kit to dial them in properly and DP high comp. pistons. 48 tooth slipper clutch etc. 50mm system.

Tried a few chip combinations but ended up with the 062 as a good allrounder.

She put out 127 bhp at back wheel on open cans and 124 with the Db killers in. Pulls like a train with 062 chip in and no flat spot whereas a 'custom chip' gave a couple more ponies but had a big hole around 5 thou' ish, fine on a track but a pain in traffic..lolol
Old 03-Jan-2006, 14:44
Ducati Meccanica

Dave,

Thanks for that. Who did the chips? Alan has left me with three versions of what he thought would be a good baseline.

Excuse my ignorance, but was the Senna a 916 or 996? I thought it was 916. Mine's a 996 so should be broadly similar as it hasn't got as good an airbox and will have a 45/50mm exhaust.
Old 03-Jan-2006, 15:04
DaveB916

Rob,

916cc and still on single injectors, tried twin injectors and it was not as good to ride, was quite 'off and onable', now is silky smooth and just pulls cleanly.

Chips came from Alan and very good they are too (Scrummy with ketchup...lolol) now have 2 ECU's one with a 062 chip in and one with an Alan 'special'. This allows me to change ECU's quickly which is surprisingly easier that swapping chips and of course there is less chance of damaging either a chip or ECU, plus the ECU's are set up i.e. CO settings for the chip installed in them, hope that makes sense?

Would be good to hear how she runs, and of course always top RON fuel, Optimax if possible worth the bit extra as an insurance on high comp. pistons....lol

Did you say you have fitted a slipper?

Dave
Old 03-Jan-2006, 15:24
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob B
Jools,

Good to see you posting again.

Started as a Strada, but always intended it to be a project. This was as I picked her up a coupld of years ago.

Rgds, Rob

Hmmmm.... yes, the project thing!

When I got the 888 as well as my ST2, Mrs Jools thought that I'd got everything I wanted. She knows me well, but even she took a little time to twig that all I'd done is given myself two bikes to have wish lists for instead of one.

I have a cunning plan that involves going down a similar road as yourself and I'm keeping half an eye open for a crashed ST4S (but not too crashed). If I can get hold of one of these it can donate all the 4S bling bits (Marchesini, Ohlins, ally swingarm etc) to my ST2 and donate it's engine to the 888.

There's been a perfect one for my purposes on eBay at bike-enders but at £1995 "buy it now" it's a bit rich for me at the moment. I know there's a "submit best offer" button, but he's gonna want more than £8.53 for it...
Old 03-Jan-2006, 15:24
500SD

Mood: need a bike...
I've been following this conversation and that power sounds good ! my 916sp (955) motor is currently being modified so I guess I should see at least that much from the work being done.
Includes - new valve seats for 37mm inlet & 31mm exhaust valves + gas flowing and combustion chamber re-shaping. She's getting 431 inlet and G exhaust cams fitted up & the Crank + Omega high comp (955) pistons balanced (the 955 barrels drop straight onto the sp cases). I also managed to get hold of a '955 Corse FIM chip' and will run with this with the current twin injector setup. Not sure how this chip will perform, time on the dyno will tell.
A slipper clutch is also being fitted
I've stuck with the standard Pankl rods and not gone down the Ti rod route, I hope that's a decision I don't regret...
Have you guys fitted up a power commander to help fine tune mapping ?