Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Apr-2009, 16:29
Bevel Head

Mood: Neutral - but only maybe. 1994 Duc 916S1, 2006 Duc Sportclassic 1000 Sport
Sport Classic 1000 - Immobiliser problem

My 2006 Sport Classic 1000 has developed an immobiliser fault. Yesterday the bike cut out while riding and came to a stop with the EOBD light coming on but will it restarted after turning the ignition off/on. Today I was out and after a brief stop it totally refused to play ball and needed recovery.

The immobiliser light was flashing as normal when I came to restart the bike and after turning the ignition on the immobiliser light went off and the EOBD light was on with all the others during the instrument self check and then briefly flashed once as it should to show the key has been recognised but did not go out as it normally does to start. So the engine was still immobilised and would not fire though the starter does turn the engine over as normal.

When I got home I've also tried to start using my spare and master key with the same result. I've also tried to reset the immobiliser manually using the bikes code and 7 seconds full throttle aftre ignition on as described in the owners manual but the EOBD light refuses to go out using full throttle - so you have no reset code flashing to accept with the throttle. Totaly confused

Does anyone have any ideas on a fix for this or is it a dealer job?
Old 19-Apr-2009, 20:05
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
The ECU may have registered a fault that is then preventing it from starting to avoid any risk of damage to the engine so you may need to get it plugged on to the Ducati Diagnostic equipment

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 19-Apr-2009, 21:10
Bevel Head

Mood: Neutral - but only maybe. 1994 Duc 916S1, 2006 Duc Sportclassic 1000 Sport
Thanks skidlids - had a feeling that was the case.
Old 20-Apr-2009, 13:27
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Heard of a similar fault on a 999,....it was the transponder in the ignition switch.Its glued in the ignition key switch cover.It had fallen down the switch and occasionally would'nt recognise the key.
Old 20-Apr-2009, 14:28
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Stood by the roadside for a few hours with a mate and his 749 that had an immobiliser fault, turned out to be a fuse in the immobiliser circuit.

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 20-Apr-2009, 20:34
Bevel Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeefyB
Heard of a similar fault on a 999,....it was the transponder in the ignition switch.Its glued in the ignition key switch cover.It had fallen down the switch and occasionally would'nt recognise the key.

That one sounded a good idea Keefy. Checked but the transponder is still firmly attached where its meant to be.

The bike is booked for collection on Wednesday by the local dealer (Ducati Wolverhampton) who can't even look at it for three weeks due to the amount of work they have on! Then they've got to get the part...s etc.

It's a 3 year old Sportclassic with less than 1000 miles on the clock which I'd only bought privately with no warrenty a couple of days before it packed up. It's back to the old tried and trusted 916 I think - getting too bl**dy technical these new Ducatis. I was hoping to get the 1000 well run in before the TT but that's not looking likely now
Old 16-May-2009, 00:10
Bevel Head

Well for the record the bike in now all ok again and I'm in the process of trying to finish running it in before the TT.

The problem turned out to be a failed fuel pump relay. So if anyone gets that sort of thing have a look at your relays - I'd looked at all the fuses but that wasn't enough!
Old 16-May-2009, 00:32
MotoGP God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike916
Well for the record the bike in now all ok again and I'm in the process of trying to finish running it in before the TT.

The problem turned out to be a failed fuel pump relay. So if anyone gets that sort of thing have a look at your relays - I'd looked at all the fuses but that wasn't enough!

Thanks for the update Mike, the info may come in handy for some one else

Good luck with the running in and have a good time at the TT

Old 04-Aug-2009, 17:15
MotoGP God

Just found this link
http://www.avantiraceparts.co.uk/page.php?id=19

Old 08-Oct-2012, 14:57
DSC Club Rep
Montjuic

Fuel pump relay location

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike916

Hi Mike,

I think I may have the same problem as you had back in 2009 with your Sport Classic. I'm planing to swap the fuel pump relay to see if that fixes my Sport 1000. The engine cuts out unexpectedly when riding but re-starts fine on the button. Now it won't start and I get a click noise and no turning over.

Can you tell me where the fuel pump relay is located? There appears to be one under the seat but I'm guessing thats it! I expect the location varies from model to model.

Steve