Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-Oct-2005, 19:49
GTL
Bikes: Ducati 888, Suzuki RG500, Triumph Preunit

Mood: On the up
Another 888 in bits

Hi all,

Finally got around to starting the winter service (pic attached). So far so good (ie no snapped or mashed bolts) and no nasty surprises. It was nice to see the nice shiny wiring indicating a newish regulator! The belts are two years old but only done 1,000 miles and I was surprised how loose they were. Also looks like the fixed rollers and tensioner rollers are scrap as they seem to have a lot of play.

I'm at the point where I'm undecided how far to go. Should I drop the engine or attack the valves/belts in-situ once the throttle bodies are off. Not done a Ducati before so any advice much appreciated. Is it worth pulling a head to check for a loose crank oil galley plug (bike has done 17,000 miles) or can I assume I'm OK if the filter is clear of swarf (not checked yet).

Thanks,

Keith
Old 17-Oct-2005, 21:14
500SD

Mood: need a bike...
what a glorious sight - but you must stretch to polishing up those down pipes !
can't help with the rebuild part - I've never done my own motor work !! but good luck...
Old 17-Oct-2005, 21:41
500SD

The belts seemed slack on mine,without the Ducati tool how do you set the tension correctly?Did you remove the cambelt covers with the fuel pipes in situ,re previous post the pipes on mine are almost jammed between covers/frame,any chance you could measure the outside diameter of pipe,any name printed on?
I stripped the bike completely,lifted the frame off the engine,easy access and greased swingarm pivot etc when assembling
Old 17-Oct-2005, 21:54
Mille

Quote:
Originally posted by aka.eric
The belts seemed slack on mine,without the Ducati tool how do you set the tension correctly?

Did mine earlier in the year using the information from Ducati suite Have to admit to being extremely nervous on start up and it was always in the back of my mind for the first few hundred miles but all seems fine so far , touch wood
Old 18-Oct-2005, 18:14
GTL
Bikes: Ducati 888, Suzuki RG500, Triumph Preunit

Mood: On the up
I've just checked my fuel hoses and they look like the originals (the bike is pretty unmessed with). They are labelled "Kleper Industries" with what appears to be a sensible date code 07/92 and a size of 8x14 (ie 14mm od and 8mm bore). I removed the cambelt covers with pipes in situ and whilst they took a little 'jiggling' I don't remember the pipes being a problem (I had removed the tank though). I've not replaced the belts yet so have that joy to come. The belts seem loose to me but there is only about 5mm of 'up' play between the cams so maybe thats not too far off correct (the previous owner had a service done 1,000 miles ago at a main dealer).

Polishing the scabby pipes is definately on the 'to do' list but the studs on the horizontal cylinder are in a very bad way so I suspect there will be fun and games liberating the pipes.

Keith