Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 29-Apr-2005, 11:36   #1
500SD

Mood: need a bike...
926 kit
Ok,I've taken the plunge and ordered a 926 kit from Pro V Twins !!
I've had mixed messages regarding what else I need to do though - I know that the cases need machining to clear the piston skirts, but what about the heads ?? I've been told that the std 851 heads will work Ok (as long as I'm not chasing power) BUT I've also been told that I should sell the std heads and get hold of a set of 888 or 916 heads to allow her to 'breathe more easily' as well as liberating more ponies.
confusion......
any comments or experiences shared will be gratefully taken on board.
cheers

Neil
Old 29-Apr-2005, 11:56   #2
DaveB916

I would have thought a call to Nelly at Cornerspeed or Alan at AJ RAcing would put you right.

If the route is 916 heads drop me an email, I have a pair that have just been completely rebuilt with new guides, valves, rockers, 4,000 mile old cams and shimmed ready to fit.

I dropped a belt in Belguim but re-fitted SP heads and had these rebuilt as spares, but they have just sat around since.

Good luck and would be interested to see how she performs after the Big Bore kit.

I opted to put in DP high comp. pistons at 916cc in my Senna with SP heads and some nice cams, a few other bits and pieces like vernier gear to dial in the cams etc. I got 126 bhp at the back wheel, was considering 955 or 996 so would be interested to see how yours goes.

The work on mine was carried out by Alan at AJ RAcing, top bloke and has been looked after since by Nelly at Cornerspeed, so she has been truly well looked after. As I said they are both top blokes and I am sure will be able to help or advise.
Old 29-Apr-2005, 14:32   #3
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Ill U2U my mate John Russells e-mail..hes got a full 926 conversion on his SP5, and is a mine of information..!

Cheers
Nat
Old 05-May-2005, 22:04   #4
500SD

thanks for the contact - John's advice was Ok, I also spoke to Pro V Twins (I bought the kit from these guys) who were really helpful.
As it happens I'm now keeping the std heads and am actively looking for a set of 916sp heads, complete with cams etc, anybody have any links ??
cheers

Neil
Old 05-May-2005, 23:19   #5
Ducati Corse

Try Baines.They normally have some spare stuff.Tehy had SP stuff when i was doing my 853 conversion to the 748,but i needed bp stuff.
Old 07-May-2005, 19:39   #6
500SD

Ok, I've received my goody box and it's not a 926 kit it's a 955 kit
I've just bought a 916 crank and conrods and am still eager to find some 916 heads - need not be sp but that would be nice.
cheers

Neil
Old 24-May-2005, 12:59   #7
500SD

hey guys, just an update - managed to get hold of a set of 916 heads (at a reasonable price too !!), so the engine build is now progressing.

Also managed to get hold of an ECU chip and will post it's markings as I'm not sure if I can use it or not, but I was wondering if a custom chip would be better suited & who does them ??

The rebuild in general is going well, although I'm having difficulty getting hold of rear wheel bearings and suspension pivot needle rollers - the needle roller bearings delivered from Ducati didn't fit and I've since found that the swing arm and hoop linkage fitted to my bike is from an SP4 - aaaarrgh

So I've had to re-order parts and am stuck with £36 worth of needle roller bearings for an 851 DS - anybody interested...

Does anybody have a source for the relays and fuse body holder that sit under the tail unit ?? at some point in it's past the fuse has gone and blown a hole in it's cover...

I think I'm still on target for a trip to Cadwell on June 21st, which will now be used as a running in session.
Old 24-May-2005, 13:43   #8
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
Neil,

Are we talking about the relays and ignition power amps that sit at the rear of the underseat space? I have a set of those in the loft that I was going to put on ebay at some point.

Rgds, Rob
Old 24-May-2005, 14:38   #9
500SD

yeah Rob, that's the fellas & there's also a large fuse mounted in a 'relay' type case I'm after as well.
can you U2 me a price - I could be tempted...
Old 24-May-2005, 21:06   #10
500SD

the chip I mentioned earlier is marked up as:
Ducati851S4 - 008b -
any comment ??
cheers

Neil