Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Oct-2004, 19:09
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
Quote:
Originally posted by lizzie

Lizzie, you should know Rattler's "sense of humour" (I use the phrase loosely" by now!
Old 15-Oct-2004, 21:44
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
The 998cc 996r is probably the better bike than the 998r 999cc, at least having won the WSB title. But hasnt the 999r won it twice now, where does that put it?
Old 16-Oct-2004, 11:50
Mille

Sorry Andy but I think Troy Bayliss lost ducati the title at assen with an unforced error, having said that Honda had the better rider in Colin Edwards. Colin may come over as a bit of a bumpkin but to do what he did that year was very impressive as the honda was not the best bike.(ps sorry tony but although I admire troy bayliss the record speaks for itself).
As for the 999r it was not challenged in 2003 due to the massive advantage michelin gave the fila team and this year if it had not been for ten kates problems in italy and france and the disqualification at monza ten kate would now be champions. The 999R handling is far better for mortals like us as it makes riding fast easier, but on the limit it is flawed ask mssrs hodgson, xaus, toesland, laconi they will all tell you the front end is vague when on the limit at thier race pace and the pirrelli tyres have not helped!!

dave
Old 18-Oct-2004, 01:30
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
excuses, excuses! If my Auntie had a pair of nuts, she'd be my Uncle!
Old 06-Nov-2004, 10:45

Frankie Chilli certainly prefers the set up of the 998 chassis for track purposes, although he does use the 999's engine.

This months Bike Magazine (Dec 2004) has an article which compares the 999 and 998 on the track.

In summary, the 999 has less chatter from the rear end due to it's dual sided swingarm, improving the bike on worn tyres. However the conclsuion is that overall, the 999 is a much trickier beat to ride, due to too much weight over the front wheel.

Apparently the 999 has 6 kg more weight over the front tyre with the same set up, making it more crash happy. The team has run 998's and 999's in back to back seasons and riders say the 998 feels more positive.

Phil Borley (MonsterMob Ducati) says: 'From Bayliss and the 998 in 2002 we never broke a lap record with the 999, which means the bikes no good'.