Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 17-Sep-2009, 13:57
Mille
Bikes: Multistraddle S, Cucciolo

Mood: Blown away!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
Andy the problem with the tyres is the availability, one company appears to have the monopoly on supply.

That may not be a bad thing if that 'monopoly' enables said company to afford to be present at every round of the championship! I think the convenience of not having to worry about buying and bringing tyres (and maybe changing equipment) easily outweighs the small additional cost for the tyres.
Old 17-Sep-2009, 14:06
Big Twin

Mood: #65 Double Desmo Due Champion - Class B 2007, Class A 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Although on the Pirelli.com website there is still no mention of H rated Rosso's
And I do find it strange tha Pirelli endorsed the use of Z rated tyres in 2005 and 2006 for the Desmo Due series if they now deem them unsuitable

We tried all sorts of things over the winter & trackdays of 2005/06.

We found the ZR tyres took longer to warm up which is probably a benefit in DD, especially Class A as I now find the HR tyres go-off quickly on the 620's. Kyle found them pretty good too, looking at some of his old lap times. We find the HR's very good at their first meeting and not-so-good at their second meeting and I'm sure Tim will confirm this too. I remember buying Skids old tyres and winning races on the Class B bike though.

I've got Dialbo corsa's on my 900ssie and its an ideal step-up, faster, better suspension and more grip.....

900ssie looks good with the DD bodywork too
Old 17-Sep-2009, 14:14
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by injected
That may not be a bad thing if that 'monopoly' enables said company to afford to be present at every round of the championship! I think the convenience of not having to worry about buying and bringing tyres (and maybe changing equipment) easily outweighs the small additional cost for the tyres.

I have always seen FWR as a cheap place for tyres and this is there current prices on H rated Diablos. http://www.fwr.co.uk/pirellit.htm#diablo
110/70H17 - £69.00
120/60H17 - £69.00
150/60H17 - £95.00
160/60H17 - £99.00

There is no 120/70H17 front listed so based on a 60 profile front a pair will cost £168 so not as cheap as Holbeach

a pair of ZR rtaed is £181
120/70 ZR17 - £82.00
160/60 ZR17 - £99.00

I think the deal we get along with the support in the paddock and several tyres as raffle prizes is a pretty decent deal

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 17-Sep-2009, 14:22
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Just my tuppenth worth on the CDi boxes. As i understood them they had a modded curve in but not necessarily for more power. The ultimate advance needs to be kept in check to enable them to run on any fuel and Ducati know this.
I've certainly seen no advantage of note in using them. What they did/do give was/is a monetry saving in replacing the stock boxes should they fail. The DP items are cheaper, as a pair, than buying stock parts. This has a been a reason that i know of in two cases where they have been used.

There's more adjustment to be had on the pickups and you'd never police that, so for what it's worth, i think you'll be wasting time, effort and energy trying to police the DP igniter boxes.......
Old 17-Sep-2009, 14:44
Mille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost
Andy the problem with the tyres is the availability, one company appears to have the monopoly on supply.

Lets go ZR and they are available from anywhere.

In the scheme of things is this such a big problem!
Old 17-Sep-2009, 14:51
Mille

Look after said engine, parts are out there you've just gotta look. I don't need to tell you that racing isn't cheap, buy another engine or look after the one you've got! These little engines are prehistoric, which can be a good or a bad thing.

Quote:
Possibly a few things need changing

Entrants were saying they were unable to buy new Standard pistons. i'm not sure if this applies to all 583s or just the older pre 99 ones, ie bikes between 11 and 15 years old (they have got 5 years older over the years DD has been running)
Sam west and Dallas seem to get along fine with the newer 1999 to 2001 engines and spares may be more readily available for these 8 to 10 year old engines

So is the lack of availability of new piston for Class B bikes an issue that needs to be researched and alternatives looked at, If so this takes time

Igniter Box's such as AL-9000s ban there use or allow them and come up with wording that stops people using igniters that have programable advance curves.
Is the current rule a gray area of are people just bending the existing rule to suit them.

Rider eligability for Class B, I have heard several comments this year refering to how long some Class B riders have been campaigning in that Class and how they should move on.
Again is this a issue with the majority or a minority
Old 17-Sep-2009, 15:55
500SD

Mood: Moto Guzzi are the new Ducati??
Talking Mmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly
There's more adjustment to be had on the pickups and you'd never police that, so for what it's worth, i think you'll be wasting time, effort and energy trying to police the DP igniter boxes.......

Should we concentrate on policing adjusted pick-ups then?????!!!!!

Is adjusting the pick-ups illegal??

Whats a Pick-up????

Last edited by MLC Racing : 17-Sep-2009 at 16:00.
Old 17-Sep-2009, 17:00
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLC Racing
Whats a Pick-up????

Used by old men to get women?

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 17-Sep-2009, 17:04
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLC Racing
Should we concentrate on policing adjusted pick-ups then?????!!!!!

Is adjusting the pick-ups illegal??

Whats a Pick-up????

It's like a van with an open loading area, or it could be one of those things they have on electrical guitars

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 17-Sep-2009, 17:30
500SD

Quote:
Come October the 5th the day after the last race of the season start sending in your ideas there is a 4 week window to send ideas /proposals/etc to desmodue@ducatisportingclub.com, these will automatically go to the members of the RC including the Riders reps. These ideas will then be looked at and worthwhile ones followed up on.

Last year I sent in loads of suggestions with my reasons and information to suoport them, many of which were taken up.

One of my views is if you can't Police it the rule can prove to be worthless
Issues on the table for next years rule book should include among them

Tyres
Class B pistons
Class B ignition modules
Rider eligability for each class
Reinstating the rule allowing the use of Carburetors on Class A bikes

If you think a rule is unfair/incorrect please let us know and it can be looked at

2.1.9 Changes to these Rules

It is the intention that the rules should be fixed no later than the 1st of March each year.

All riders are to be given the opportunity to input to the following seasons rules, after the finish of the last race of the year and the 5th of November of that year.

I think ALL suggestions should be made public. I'm not necessarily saying that they should all be debated in public but that they should be published with details of whether they will be taken up and if not why not. I think this will save time for eveybody involved, e.g. the same suggestion sent by several members. There would be one central place, on the forum, where they can be referenced.

Can I put mine in now please:

1) A vote on how amount of rounds for DD. Why? Two main reasons: (a)The whole idea of DD is that it is meant to be 'budget' racing. For instance, within the tyre debate the issue of 'cost' is quoted constantly yet this year there were 9 rounds in the calendar. If the series were to reduce the amount of rounds, say to 6 or 7 rounds there would be a big cost saving which would negate the tyre costs. 6 quality rounds between, say, April at the earliest and September at the latest? operative phrase here: Quality not Quantity :-) (b) There would also be more chance of full grids as, maybe, more people would be inclined to do more rounds.

2) Once New Era have published available dates DD'ers should get a vote about where they go I'm sure this was done a couple of years back.

All signed up DD'ers should be given ample chance to vote. If they don't bother then they have no argument if there is something they don't like.

Anyway that's my tuppence worth....over and out :-)