Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 17-Dec-2004, 23:00
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

I'll apologise now as I voted before the text body had loaded (our is a busy connection here).

I voted 'no' as I believe the spirit of the series is aimed at novice riders who are going to have enough of a bad time buying a bike AND all that is needed without the additional expense of warmers / gennie etc.

This and the use of a control tyre would be a great leveller I feel (NO....not levelling everyone to the goround on the first corner !!!).

As a matter of interest I thought I'd have a look on the MZ racing website and the mini-twins regs for mention of tyre-warmers either for or against and couldnt find any mention at all ?????????

http://www.bmzrc.org.uk/

http://www.bemsee.co.uk/index.php
Old 18-Dec-2004, 08:45
Ducati Corse

Diamond tyre warmers from ebay £130
Generator hire for the whole weekend £35

Those little two stoke generators for £70 wont run both warmers together (the warmers are typically rated at 600 watts each) so you would either need two gennys at £140 or get a four stroke 2kw genny for about £200. All prices are ebay style ones but come up very regularly so it shouldnt be a problem.
Old 30-Jul-2005, 13:36

Hi Guys,
Sorry to revive this post.....I have been looking for tyrewarmer help and information. I have been looking for a good set of warmers and this post has been helpful as it looks like the benefits of warmers are split and many feel they are not needed. I have used warmers that work very well and the benefits are very good if you understand how they work with the tyres and tyre pressures themselves.
I.E Tyre pressures go up by a set amount with temperature. The pressures need to be correct as even quick riders with wrong presures can lose heat out of the tyre and have problems. I have been looking for about 8 weeks now for a good set of warmers that are reliable and do what they should and I have only found 3 sets that fit the bill and they are all about £400.00 per set!! I have tried budget warmers and all they do is give you grief as they are usaully un-reliable and can damage the tyre with too much heat or not fully warm the tyre and they are cold by the time you do finally get to the start line.

Good warmers are worth using but the cheap £150 sets are just generally a waste of money and can cause more damage to either the tyres or the bike as you cannot be sure they have done the job properly.....

Again sorry to intrude on this post but I have found your comments helpful while looking for warmers.

Old 30-Jul-2005, 16:08
Ducati Corse

Well just to add my little bit to this, i used my £130 Diamond tyre warmers for the first time at TA4 and they behaved perfectly, they gave me loads of confidence in the first couple of laps of each session. The tyres felt uniformly warm all around so in my opinion they did what they were supposed to do. The only thing you get with the more expensive ones is they are more robust and a bit quicker to put on so if you are using them every weekend then its perhaps worth going for the more expensive ones.

The genny i used came from Ebay (it was brand new) and cost £170 plus shipping. It was brand new and rated at 2.8kva which is about 2500 watts so it'll run two sets of warmers quite happily plus you can use it to power your kettle, fan heater, power tools, lights etc.
Old 30-Jul-2005, 17:29
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
If you're doing trackdays and can afford them - get some !!! they're great for confidence and you don't have to waste as mnay laps getting heat into them.

Tim
Old 30-Jul-2005, 19:35
Big Twin

Mood: Enjoying Togdom !
I have my own tyre warmer,he's called Chris and he takes the bike out in the fast group leaving it nice and warm for the inters!
Might have a problem when i move up though.
Butch
Old 30-Jul-2005, 19:52
Ducati Corse

Mood: is it still wet
no......

So far we have had no first corner off's that can be attributed to cold tyres have we..?....u warm the tyre up sit in the holding are then sit on the grid how much heat is going to be in them.?

So far in this series i have not seen any reason why we would introduce warmers...its another cost we can do without...........

Has any1 had any cold tyre issue's so far.....??..i have not heard any1 complain about cold tyres and i for one and i know im not alone go pretty hard from the start.....

Where will it stop..soon after warmers it will be advised we should have wets..then it's genny !spare wheels !spare discs etc etc..................

The Diablos we are running are awesome..warm up quickly and give excellent grip...............

no issues from me..im happy to run no warmers ( even though i have a set) and stay with controlled diablo tyre for next year....

Phil
Old 30-Jul-2005, 19:59
Big Twin

Mood: Enjoying Togdom !
Have to agree with Phil,we dont seem to have any issues with tyres,costs need to be kept down for next year.
The higher the costs the less fun it will be.
Butch
Old 30-Jul-2005, 20:12
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Quote:
Originally posted by fil2
no......

So far we have had no first corner off's that can be attributed to cold tyres have we..?....u warm the tyre up sit in the holding are then sit on the grid how much heat is going to be in them.?

So far in this series i have not seen any reason why we would introduce warmers...its another cost we can do without...........

Has any1 had any cold tyre issue's so far.....??..i have not heard any1 complain about cold tyres and i for one and i know im not alone go pretty hard from the start.....

Where will it stop..soon after warmers it will be advised we should have wets..then it's genny !spare wheels !spare discs etc etc..................

The Diablos we are running are awesome..warm up quickly and give excellent grip...............

no issues from me..im happy to run no warmers ( even though i have a set) and stay with controlled diablo tyre for next year....

Phil

Dude, I don't think anyone was suggesting that we do! Fbracer just wanted to know our opinion on which set to buy (Something I can't help with, sorry!).

Having said that I second everything else you said. No need at all for them at the mo. I didn't see anyone warming their tyres up during the race at snet, and if the front-runners are doing those speeds on cold tyres then you can rest assured that grip really isn't an issue.

I'd go even further and say that warmers could cause problems as the tyres have a definite tendancy to go off after 15mins at full bore. Mine let go a couple of times at Cadwell, admittedly on a corner with a rough surface (chris curves), but it didn't happen in the first 5-6 laps. Tyres pressure were 34.5 on return to the pits which seems about right.

Cheers,

Ali
Old 30-Jul-2005, 20:18
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Old thread re-born but worth going over again now we've had a little experience to speak of...

I'm more than happy with no warmers. Agree with wot phil says above, the diablo's get enough heat in the warm up lap to give plenty of confidence and give shed loads of feel be they cold warm or melting.

IMO there's no such thing as blaming cold tyres for a race crash - if you're a good enough rider to be on a race grid then you ought to be able to feel what your tyres are up to and ride accordingly, red mist or not. If you go beyond the limits then it's rider error, not cold tyres!

n