Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Jan-2006, 12:07
500SD

Mood: I can live with backpain!
Building exhaust cans

++I'm currently coring out a set of S*R exhausts,and have made decent progress.What I'll be left with is a shell into which I intend to put perforated tubing wrapped in blanket baffling,as in most racecans.
The inlet pipes seem to be about 40mm for each pipe,should I retain the same diameter for the perforated tubing?,or get larger bore tube?,45mm or even 50mm?
What should I be looking out for here?
I can get most of this stuff from A16 unless anyone knows anywhere better,I also need to make a rear blanking plate,really just to hold the tubing in position at the exit pipe,any suggestion as to what to make this from?,can I use aluminium?,as its easier to cut and shape(its what the sleeves seem to be made of) or will that distort or burn to much and mild steel be better- could I even use mesh?
Anyone else built there own cans?,what are the pitfalls?

The upside is that if I'm successful they will have cost a fraction of commercially available ones,and hopefully look good too.
Old 23-Jan-2006, 16:01
Montjuic

Mood: Just Ducky
Dave, I am currently doing the same thing to the SP mufflers I bought for my 851. The thing to think about is that the diameter of the tubing will affect backpressure and tuning to some degree. Me Im going for the 50mm as I like the noise