Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Jun-2006, 16:00
Mille

Oil light at idle

Hi all.

I raced my 916 during the weekend and it happened twice when exiting from the track after 10-12 laps to have the oil light flickering at idle. Revving it a bit made the light dissapear, but when the revs dropped it appeared again.

I let it cool for 1 hour and when i started it didn't do it.

Yesterday i drove it in town and no problem.

I also noticed that the oil cooler looks very dirty, full of mud / dirt.

What do you think it can be the problem?

thanks
Old 27-Jun-2006, 17:18
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
What oil are you running in it and when was it changed? 10W/40 can cause this if it gets too hot.
Fill it with 15W/50
Old 27-Jun-2006, 17:23
Mille

I'm running Shell 10w/40 and it was changed 2 days before the race! Oil level was ok...
Old 27-Jun-2006, 18:22
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

As a first step, you should carefully straighten any oil cooler radiator fins that are bent from road debris so you get the maximum cooling from the unit. After you straighten them, attach some protective screening to the backside of the V-piece to prevent future damage.

As your oil temperature rises during a track session its viscosity drops and engine oil pressure drops slightly. If you have low oil pressure (as opposed to a bad pressure switch) usually what happens is that initially the oil light will start to flicker after riding hard on the track, but not under normal commuting type riding. Under these conditions you should be using a 50-weight viscosity oil to maintain an adequate oil pressure and use a synthetic oil to give yourself a safety net against oil breakdown at higher temperatures.
Old 30-Jun-2006, 01:26

Mood: confused
oil pressure

My 996 does this after hard/track riding because its using oil. Top it up and its fine again and it uses no oil at all riding normally. There seems to be no power loss or nasty smoke. Is there something I can do about it, or do I just have to keep chucking oil in her? It has done 27k though
Old 30-Jun-2006, 08:19
Big Twin

You're lucky to have a warning light!

Mine popped the switch our of the thread in the casing (not uncommon, apparently). It's been replaced by a superb bodge with a bolt and nyloc nut

It's due an oil change, though, and it's always nice to see that red light extinguish after you've filled her up and fired her up.

I'll have to get around to getting the casing helicoiled.