Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Mar-2006, 13:02
Mille

Mood: twitching
Metal in sump - rockers? (material insight 1)

Took as many photos of the rockers via the covers so i could track wear and tear. then decided to change the oil in the 1999 996bip.

Took the oil filter off then the sump plug (which has a magnetic pickup on it) and low and behold guess what i saw on the sump plug! What I guess could be called Shaffer’s of metal fillings (looks like strands of cut wire) . I am guessing this is a rocker or G0d help me “rockers!” chrome falling apart..

Am I right in thinking there are 16 of them?! KNICKERS! this is going to be fun.! Don’t mind doing the belts etc.. but the rockers and the shims was something i was hopeing not to have to do except annual services when I was going to let someone else do it. Which brings me onto my next point..

I am now trying to calculate worst cost pricing for say SIGMA or Pro twins to do the investigation and replacing. (will post results when i speak to them BUT I don’t like talking to garages about such matters as I can almost hear down the telephone line there little brains making a ker-ching noise)

As anyone got similar stories (to confirm the fillings are rockers otherwise its a complete engine strip down to find the source :-( including the costs they paid ?)

Everyone here rates Motto Louigi but he’s a bit far away far away from Epsom Downs in Surrey. (Particularly as I have to get back from there afterwards)

Can anyone confirm that each rocker costs £80 plus VAT?
How much are the shimms (they come in a multi pack dont they?)

I have attached a picture of one of the Shaffer’s collected when changing the engine oil....

Gut feeling this is going to cost me at least £800 

bum
Old 05-Mar-2006, 13:48
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
yes opening rockers are £80 and closing rockers are ( i was quoted this) £100

The chrome on the rockers is not magnetic so it wont stick to your sump plug what you have sounds like something else

expect an expert along soon !
Old 05-Mar-2006, 13:50
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
having looked at the pic it's not from your rockers that would be small flakes not a strand like that
Old 05-Mar-2006, 14:16
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
The chrome off the rockers isn't magnetic, so it won't stick to the sump plug. Any chrome collects on the gauze filter which is screwed in to the side of the engine, just below the clutch housing.

Opening rockers are about £105 inc. vat, closers are about £115.

It's quite common to find slithers on the sump plug. They could've been there for years if the plug hasn't been cleaned when it's been taken out. I wouldn't be over concerned unless it looks like a shim or such like.
Old 05-Mar-2006, 14:59
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Whatever it is, it looks like it's about to attack the Enterprise!

It's not rocker plating anyway, that stuff doesn't shave off like that.
Old 05-Mar-2006, 16:35
Mille

MBP in Canada will replate worn rockers for USD50 each. They reckon it is a permanent fix. I have had three openers done so far!

http://www.mbpducati.ca/
Old 05-Mar-2006, 18:20
Ducati Corse

I wonder if the thing in your pic is part of the washer behind the alternator nut? Its not really very clear.

I regulary change the oil in both the bikes and every car i've ever owned and the sump plug always comes out covered in swarf. Nothing has blown up yet!
Old 05-Mar-2006, 18:34
Mille
Bikes: ST4S

Mood: Finally gotten over the 748R getting stolen thing. Actually, no i haven't !
Looks like what i had on the sump plug in a 748BP years ago. Think it was the crank plug backing out and wearing away as it did so.
Cost £1300 partly cos it took out the main bearing with all this sloshing about inside.
Old 05-Mar-2006, 18:44
Mille

Mood: twitching
rockers or is it?

thanks for the feed back ..

Gulp.. what is it? .. Now I am more paranoid !

its too thin for any sort of lock wire (apologies for the photo, will try and get some better ones tonight)

Looking at the oil pan I used, this strand and another, where the only 2 that came through. The rest (smaller bits) where on the sump plug..

On a happier thought the contents of the drain pan doesn’t have a sparkle So I guess there are no chrome flakes left over in it (like tinsel flakes)

Well this is one for the book?. But I don’t like the thought of that material flowing around the engine.

More news as it comes in……
Old 05-Mar-2006, 18:46
Montjuic

Mood: Updating The Formula!
Have the galley plug checked, found the same with my engine recently, was supposed to have been checked last year by a Ducati dealer but , when stripped and checked this year was found to be finger tight and shaved down.
I would have it checked.
You can also get rockers for aprox $60.