Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-Jul-2003, 19:22
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Er, im 15 1/2 stonnes..... yes i know!
Old 15-Jul-2003, 19:39
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
From my spring calculator I make it that I would have to use a 7.1kg/mm spring if I was to put on another 4 stone in weight, which can,t be far off the mark as that is not far off half the weight of the odd female passenger I know and the spring is just over half way between that for a Mono and a BiP.
Old 15-Jul-2003, 22:51
BSB Star

Im interested in this spring calculator? can you put it on the site.

Been out on the bike im so pleased with my efforts. I stuck with the loaded sag of 30mm, and raised the rear to a datum measurement of 240mm.
On the real bumpy undulating b road ive used for a test, its feel is much more positive than the hyperpro spring, which was wishy washy in comparison, but its not to the point of kicking me out of the seat.... one happy bunny!!!
Old 16-Jul-2003, 00:53
MotoGP God

Hi Andy, glad to hear your getting somewhere with the bike, my spring rate calculator is in the form of a excel document that uses an equation I settled on years ago when building specials.
Into it you put in weight of bike and rider, bikes rear weight bias, shocks available travel and the linkage ratio, plus a couple of fixed values.So far I have not yet plotted out the 916 rocker ratio, what I did earlier is arrived at a value for the rocker ratio by working backwards from my 6.4kg/mm spring and then changed the riders weight to give me a new spring rate.
Kev
Old 16-Jul-2003, 08:36
BSB Star

Ah,i gets you? I wonder what size increments do ohlins springs go up in?

are you better going up or down if theres not one for your weight? or do you have to compromise with the damping settings?
Old 16-Jul-2003, 11:54
MotoGP God

If the exact spring isn't available, I would go for the next size up, as this will give the damper a bit of a easier time, as a softer spring will cause the damper to travel futher and have a quicker response. which will need extra settings to dial out. Ideal situation is to get the right spring for your weight/riding style and get the shock valved to suit. You may find the Ohlins daming settings and hence the envelope it operates in will cope with a 10% increase in spring rate.
Old 16-Jul-2003, 20:12
Mille

Mood: The medication helps!
olins

i've just had my 748s suspension done by JHP. i had olins springs in the forks and an olins spring on the rear.

Result the bike is amazing it is a totaly different bike, how i rode it before i just don't know! Now i have such confidence in the twisty bits it's amazing!

Just get it done trust me.
Old 01-Aug-2003, 11:54
Mille

Mood: Either bemused or indifferent
Just set my spring on 996s Bip from Hackett's setting as the only way around a corner was to hang right off like a loon!
Hackett's had 21mm of thread showing above the locking ring. This is now down to 13mm! as per Superbike mag suggested i have upper the ride height by 2 turns and now it goes round corners! I'll try it at mallory on Tuesday and see what happens