Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Sep-2005, 16:50
500SD

Mood: Yellow!!
Warm Up Period

Just wondering at what point is it necessary to do the warm up procedure? For example I know you need for the first ride, but if you stop somewhere for say 10-15mins it's not really necessary is it?

How long on a standstill would it then be necessary to warm it up for 90 secs +
Old 12-Sep-2005, 16:57
GTL

Mood: I want to come home ::(:but then
It all depends on the weather as too how quickly the motor cools down. Normally though if it's been standing for more than 1 hour I always let it tick-over for about 30 seconds before I give it some welly. This gives time for the oil to reach the rockers.
Old 12-Sep-2005, 17:10
500SD

Yeah it was more about the oil I was concerned about.
Old 12-Sep-2005, 17:15
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
Neil S will tell you that it takes anything to 90 secs for the oil to get around the top end. Assuming cold motor/oil here. Take a look on Sigma's site.

Rgds, Rob
Old 12-Sep-2005, 18:50
500SD

Yeah that's why I was asking, from cold I give it 120 secs just to be sure. A long wait when you're just sat there, especially since I've got one of those kill switches on the side stand.

I was just seeing if it was neccessary to wait that long for every ride or just from completely cold, and at what point would you class it as cold, do we go by the temperature guage?

For instance the engine could still be fairly warm if it's in a hot enough environment but the oil drained away from the cylinder head.
Old 13-Sep-2005, 01:04
Big Twin
Bikes: Xdaivel

Mood: Xdiavel..awesome!!
I tend to let mine warm up as long as it takes me to get on gloves and get out the gate which is way more than 90 secs before i actually pull away.

Im wondering if any S4r's have been affected yet by the rocker syndrome
Old 13-Sep-2005, 01:11
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
The "warm up" generally applies to a cold engine that has been stood for a few hours or more.
10-15 minutes shouldn't make much difference at all. The oil won't be completely evacuated in that time, probably not for a few hours?
Use the temp gauge as a guide. Don't pull away until the gauge is registering.

S4R's...............still bust rockers unfortunately, especially if you rev it from cold
Old 13-Sep-2005, 01:39
Big Twin

Sigma published a good techincal doc about rockers. Worth a read.

In summary - they built a motor with a special cam in it and it happened that the oilway plug was not fitted to that particular cam and they didn;t realise it. 90 seconds after starting the engine the oil started coming out of the end of the cam. Hence the estimate of 90 seconds from cold to get the oil up to the rear cylinder.

http://www.sigmaperformance.com/rockers.html
Old 13-Sep-2005, 01:43
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
At this time of year i generally give it about 6 months to warm up, SAD Innit waiting for next spring

Nelly at Cornerspeed can supply you with a side stand over ride so the engine runs with the stand down (only in neutral of course to prevent trying to ride away) so bike can warm up for 90 seconds while getting gloves and helmet on.
Old 13-Sep-2005, 01:48
Big Twin

They reckon you shouldn't over do the warm up period. I used to let it get too hot I think when I first got the ST2, but I've seen it said enough times to let the temp guage get a reading (as Nelly said) but dont let it get really hot on idle. Even when it's warm I start it and then put my helmet and gloves on. Gives you something to do while the oils circulating.