Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 30-Jan-2009, 13:37
Big Twin

Mood: Feeling peckish
There was a recent group test on these on the telly.
The iphone was pretty good but not perfect, blackberry storm wasn't rated that highly for the touchscreen and features and no wi-fi is a let down, but the big winner all round was the HTC HD - great touchscreen and features, push email, wifi all present. May be worth a look?
Old 30-Jan-2009, 13:54
888 at Last !!!

Mood: On the up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonio600
Well the big nono with the Blackberry is that it does not do Wifi. Whether I'll be at home or at clients, I will most of the time have a free Wifi network available to use.

Thanks for the N97 hint Paul, will google for it and might wait a few weeks more if it does what I need it to do

Tonio

It sure does - we have Blackberrys at work and they automatically connect to ur wifi network here, (or mone at home, or the at the airport) prior to using the mobile phone network.

Unless there is no wi-fi nearby, then they go straight to the phone network.
Old 30-Jan-2009, 13:56
888 at Last !!!

Or you could wait for one of these:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7859562.stm
Old 30-Jan-2009, 14:09
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
How about a Google Android phone, geekboy?
Old 30-Jan-2009, 14:34
888 at Last !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillc
How about a Google Android phone, geekboy?

They had a poor(ish) review on Five's Gadget show
Old 30-Jan-2009, 15:04
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
just in case anyone is taken in by the gadget show report.

they did a number of tests and at each one excluded the phone that performed lowest, leaving them with a winner.

Now I am not saying that the winner was on the best, but if they had performed the tests in a different order they may have got a different result.

to truly compare then all should be ranked and weighted and the outcome measured.

MSO - not sure if the Storm is classed as a replacement or just a new device. The new model though is very nice, very stylish and very good. The only downside that I know of at the moment is lack of 3g, but not sure if that will change going forward.
Old 30-Jan-2009, 15:31
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
I have a Blackberry Pearl, old money by new models standards but I think it's great, good batterly life, good reception, quick to type, great sync with my notes email and diary anywhere in the world including Cadwell lower paddock! I seldom use the web on it but have always found it a bit cumbersome.

I know three people who have returned their Blackberry Storm as too difficult to use, they just couldn't get on with it and gave up.

I see people using iphone on the train for their emails and I have done 3 in the time they have done one on the touch screen dragging things about the place.....looks very sexy but a keyboard beats it for functionality imo.

In saying that, I am not techno - I still carry my old ipod, one of the first ones out and I still use my old Nokia brick phone that I have had for about 5 years now - it does calls and text and that's all I need from it and it means my tariff on TMobile is tiny.

WeeJohnyB
Old 30-Jan-2009, 19:40
500SD

Mood: Firing on all 4 !!
Bold is ok, not that great to use, still suffers from poorer battery life than pearl / curve.
Storm the current firmware is far better than launch. nice to work with, dodgy accelerometer, and not too bad overall.
I still use my faithfull 8820 pearl by choice, good battery, small size and light, and has wifi unlike the 8810
for non blackberry devices i have used E50, E51, E65 etc etc infact all the proper E series nokias before they dropped blackberry connect.

If you just want to read your mail with the odd quick "ok" type of reply then any of the E series are ideal.
For a bit more of an essay or attachment viewing then it has to be a blackberry.

Windows smartphones or palms are ok with imap or pop, or even if using exchange push, but battery life suffers unless you get it to sync every 30 mins, unlike blackberrys pushed as i like my mail instantly (infact even before it gets into your outbox if with o2)

o2 do a nice blackberry pay as you use bolt on, which is 2.25 per meg or something, and even kicking the arse out of your mail you wont do more than 2 meg a month in just messages and text.

Vodafone's BIS bolt on is 7 quid or so same as o2 if i recall, but using vodafones BIS service is a bit hit and miss in terms of speed which is a shame as i prefer thier network over o2's but for pure performance with blackberry BIS or BES o2 wins hands down.

As you may have guessed i have worked with blackberry since oh day1 when o2 launched it back in 2001 in the uk. Microsoft sync has its place, but blackberry is secure and does what it says on the tin.
Old 30-Jan-2009, 21:19
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Windows mobile sync can also be secure, depends on the provider - the same as blackberry, it's no different. Windows mobile/outlook supports push mail the same as blackberry - there's no difference. In fact from a corporate point of view Exchange and Systems Centre Mobile Device Manager has some features that Blackberry can't compete with yet.

From a device point of view, and bearing in mind Tonio isn't connecting to a corporate push mail server, be it blackberry or windows based, the HTC HD is the hands down winner IMO. Most providers, apart from Orange it would seem, do an unlimited data plan fairly cheap which would be good for email and developing on the fly. Orange bundled data is not expensive but I wouldn't go calling it cheap yet.

Having said that, now that you've got a business Tonio it would be worht investigating what business tariffs you can get from various providers and this deal *may* sway your handset choice. If I was in your shoes though, I'd pick the HTC HD all day long.
Old 31-Jan-2009, 11:29

Mood: Happy
We have iPhones at work and they are fantastic; I have to say that it is the most fantastic invention. It's really intuitive and has the benefit of being able to have extra applications added. As it comes, it has:

- Full email
- 3G and WiFi connectivity
- Full web browsing (although not Flash-based sites)
- Camera (only two mega-thingies, but the software makes for great snaps)
- Full iPod... this makes your other MP3 music gadget redundant
- Image library
- Calendar
- Note pad
- Access to 1000s of games and apps
- Google Earth

Can't think of any major downsides

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit