Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Jan-2011, 13:46

748 (RS) Advice please

HI

I have a 748 race bike that due to health and finances I haven't used for some time. It's a 1997 748BP frame (clean with V5) but the motor has RS heads/cams, ti pistons/rods, lightened/balanced cams, STM slipper clutch, pulley adjusters, along with 54mm Termi's, Ohlin's shock/fork internals, alloy sub frame, rear sets, power commander etc etc along with spares, wets on wheels, stands etc. The original owner spent a LOT of money on it at Moto Rapido.

My question is, I need to raise some money so am I better off selling as a whole or pulling it apart and selling the bits? I have no idea what any of it's worth or whether anyone is likely to be interested.

As a new member I can't advertise it for 14 days so would welcome some opinion in the meantime please. Do I chop it? What are the bits worth and what's a track bike going to fetch in the current economic climate?

Thanks

S
Old 12-Jan-2011, 17:38
Montjuic

Hi,

Can you post some pictures?

Cheers
Old 12-Jan-2011, 17:53

It sounds like it is not a true RS,if i am right in thinking that?,its a sad fact that these bikes are now worth more in parts than as a complete bike,if it was built as a special from a original road bike then its only worth a fair bit complete if you find someone who wants a bike to that exact spec.
Some pics as suggested and complete list of the parts on it will help,that way people may make you a offer on the bits and you can start to decide if you want to break it or sell as a whole.
Old 13-Jan-2011, 11:46

No it's definitely not a true RS, the V5 says originally a biposto

Unfortunately it's buried in the garage at the moment. Once the bike and bits in front are removed (mate collecting it in a week) I can pull it out and take some more pics. I have to be honest and say I don't know much about Dukes, but the guy at Moto Rapido (think they call him Dr Desmo?) confirmed it did have the bits it said/ work done by him and it was set up by Rich at Luigi Moto before I rode it only the once (before personal circumstances meant it got packed away for winter and never ridden again).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg n662201534_1834913_3774.jpg (39.3 KB, 124 views)
Old 01-Feb-2011, 14:05

Can one of the mods please move this to the For Sale section please? Unfortunately I'm now non-weight bearing for 8 weeks so can't strip the bike but if anyone wants to make an offer for the complete bike, or put requests in for certain bits (which I will strip in due course) then please do!

Cheers

S
Old 01-Feb-2011, 14:53
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastSi
Can one of the mods please move this to the For Sale section please?

You should be able to post in there now if the 14 day limit has expired.
Just copy and paste the bits you need into a new thread.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!