Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 21-Sep-2005, 09:59
Big Twin

Anyone tried or got one of these stands ?

These stands are made by Cycle Cat and are meant to be excellent and apparently any bike can be lifted from its side stand single handed even by a kid, so should suit me fine !
Old 21-Sep-2005, 10:17
Montjuic

Mood: crank it and bank it

No no no, Harris stand cant beat them
http://www.harris-performance.com/

PS Why would you want your 12 year old touching your Duc?
I know i wouldn't!!!
Old 21-Sep-2005, 10:25
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
They look pretty good, but make sure they'll work with your bike. A lot of "conventional" paddock stands won't work safely with the 749/999's
Old 21-Sep-2005, 13:28
Big Twin

I have both front and rear Harris stands and whilst a lot of people swear by them and I admit they are well made stainless items, they are a bit "iffy" with my 2003 749S.

The rear one I use mainly for cleaning/lubing/tyre warmers (occassiaonlly) and so I replaced the cups with a steel rod with a handle welded across the end of it (T shaped thing). That goes right through the rear spindle and is then rock solid. I have used the cups sometimes when I need to get the rear wheel out, but they really don't sit very well on the double sided swing arm. Why oh why did Ducati not put threaded holes for bobbins on it!

The front one is quite wide, so the swinging hook thingies are right out at their maximum extent to reach the forks. I didn't used to like using it at all, but now I've done some track days with tyre warmers on I have got used to it and it's "ok". I recently took the front wehel out myself to have a new tyre fitted and left it on the front stand over night (well, both stands of course) - it was fine and steady.

Sorry about the rambling ....
Old 21-Sep-2005, 13:35
Big Twin

I currently have a micron rear stand which works fine with my large R&G bobbins IF someone keeps the bike up straight while I lift it.

The Cycle Cat stand can apparently be used single handed ( no comments please ) as it allows one lifter to be lower than the other while the bike is leant over then the lifter extends to level out when the bike is upright or so I believe.
Old 21-Sep-2005, 14:07
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by iang
I currently have a micron rear stand which works fine with my large R&G bobbins IF someone keeps the bike up straight while I lift it.

The Cycle Cat stand can apparently be used single handed ( no comments please ) as it allows one lifter to be lower than the other while the bike is leant over then the lifter extends to level out when the bike is upright or so I believe.

Fair enough ... but it's familiarity that helps (besides breeding contempt - apparently?). First (several) times I used the Harris stands I was REALLY nevous and would not have done it alone. Now I pop the bike on and off the stands and in fact it lives on the rear one (with rod through spindle) all the time to create more walk-through space in the garage. I start with the bike on sidestand, use the first bit of leverage on the paddock stand to get the 2 wheels on the ground which brings the bike upright, then push the handle down and up it comes. It's one handed, in that I support the seat with the other (not sure why though). The only thing that could be better on them is to have bobbins to make wheel removal "safer".
Old 21-Sep-2005, 14:09
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Does anyone know where you can get the front stands that lift via the yoke (so you can take the forks out etc) for a 998R?
Old 21-Sep-2005, 16:42
500SD

Mood: Not sure
Quote:
Originally posted by HW
Why oh why did Ducati not put threaded holes for bobbins on it!

Because then there would be no need to buy there overpriced rear padock stand

Darren
Old 21-Sep-2005, 17:40
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
[quote]Originally posted by HW
Quote:
Originally posted by iang
The only thing that could be better on them is to have bobbins to make wheel removal "safer".
You are all forgetting the '05 bikes (and iang's 749R) come with threaded holes for 8mm bobbins.Ive also got some R&G bobbins and use an FG paddock stand I bought for my 851.

The cyclecat one looks great.I could certainly use one of those.
Old 22-Sep-2005, 11:26
Mille

Mood: I started life with nothing and still have most of it left
All the guys up here have fitted protector bobbins from below. These are machined to order and only cost approx £11.00
Mine work brilliantly on my 05, 749 with a rear clam stand

www.stores.ebay.co.uk/engineering-solutionz
Tel Ady 07789284216