Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-Feb-2006, 13:29
Mille

Would i be mad changing to an 03/04 749s from a 620 Monster?

The majority of my journey is on the A1 so i guess my average speed would be 50-60.

How relaible is/would be a 749s? I've heard a bit about stalling at lights.
Old 17-Feb-2006, 16:17
Mille

the bike I have is a 999s and find it quite different from the older jap bikes I've had in heavy traffic, they feel much hotter, the exhaust doesn't help, but it's not unbearable, I also find the bars are to low at slow speeds, I have a riser kit to help but haven't fitted it yet. but the bike reliability is never questionable, you know you will get there just a bit hot and with aching wrists, but when you get out of town it's a joy and well worth the hot bum in summer. ps I dont ride if there's road salt out or if I do I make sure it's cleaned befor I put it away.
Old 17-Feb-2006, 22:05
Montjuic

A good solution to the heavy wrists is to eat lots of pies and develop a big belly, therfore when your on the bike all the wieght is on your belly rather than your wrists. -well it works for me!
Old 17-Feb-2006, 23:19
888 at Last !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rossman_999
A good solution to the heavy wrists is to eat lots of pies and develop a big belly, therfore when your on the bike all the wieght is on your belly rather than your wrists. -well it works for me!

You just need to get confortable and bend your arms instead of have them stiff.
Old 18-Feb-2006, 13:40
Big Twin

I've commuted on my 748 from Day 1.
Of course it depend what the journey is, mine's 26 miles each way, which is far enough to get the motor thoroughly warmed up. I wouldn't use it regularly for a 2 mile journey.

Personally I wouldn't find bending my arms to much very comfortable in traffic, that's only going to put more weight on your wrists. On dual-carriageways though, that's another story. In traffic I find making a conscious effort to hold the 'bars lightly (use your stomach muscles, and your feet) helps a lot. Alternatively, there Rossman's solution!

It's nice and narrow for those filtering gaps, though!
Old 19-Feb-2006, 10:20
500SD
Bikes: multistrada, 748R/916

Mood: one very coool cat!
use mine in town - it might be my yellow one you spotted?? - until recently had a secure undercover park next to work, but no more. so search for a solid object to bolt it to. Crossed fingers no scratched fairings so far. riding is OK but would benefit from lower gearing - lack of turning lock is tricky but you need to plan the gaps better, just like normal - warm it up before setting off, and go easy on the clutch. gotta admit it is a great way to start and end the day! oh - be prepared to do lots more cleaning - even without salt etc on roads
Old 19-Feb-2006, 23:17
Mille

Could well be mate. Hello.

And Moto 748 was that you i was talking to on Friday night,in Covent Garden?
Old 20-Feb-2006, 00:28
DSC Club Rep
Big Twin
Bikes: 848

took the 996 to work on friday and had a hoot. like TP says, so easy to clock silly speeds down the Embankment. the scooter is great for weaving in an out of traffic, but the road presence on the 996 is something else.
Old 20-Feb-2006, 10:08
500SD

Mood: What's going on??
Hi Nick,

When the weather is better ie no salt, not too cold, I ride in now and again from Hastings (East Sussex )to Shoreditch(East City London) Ienjoy it just relax your arms