Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 07-Jul-2004, 11:13

Back to Ducati

Hi, I'm a newbie on this site as I've just returned to Ducati after a couple of Aprilia RSVRs, including the latest Factory. My last Ducati was a 916SPS and I've just got a 999S with the Termi silencer & ECU upgrade. In the Aprilia world there are similar message boards and they highlight the basic mods that you have to make to sort out the 'features' created by the manufacturers - like quiet exhaust, ridiculously high gearing and mid-range flatspot. I've been reading through this message board and I think I've found out the same kind of information for the 999 - thanks posters - so I'm looking at the following and would appreciate any feedback from you guys who've been down this path already:

Will the Termi/ECU sort out the mid-range or will I need a Power Commander?

I'm looking at lowering the gearing - what's the optimum C&S configuration on a 999S?

Following on from the other threads, it really needs a QA throttle and I'd like to get the Corse kit fitted but I don't know where I can find a reliable dealer/workshop near W London to supply and fit it?

Sorry if this is all a bit long-winded but I've got that new toy fettling fever - help!
Old 07-Jul-2004, 11:26
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
i went for the 54 full system/ecu and does sort out the flat spot well, but would no doubt be better still with fim chip/power commander to set it up more accurately.

dont know about the optimum gearing; depends on how and where you ride most i guess; but i went for a 14t front, works as a good overall change for me (road and track).

lots of talk about quick action throttles at the moment, but i seem to about the only person that isnt bothered by it! i think even im capable of hoisting the front coming out of a bend with the current throttle, cant think i would need to open it any faster, maybe im missing something
Old 07-Jul-2004, 17:49
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
I know that for me the quick action throttle is so that I don't have to move my hand on the grip when I want to fully open the throttle

Rob
Old 15-Jul-2004, 17:32
Montjuic

Chrono, what do you think of the Aprilia RSV Factory? Sorry I am not here to answer your question, rather I am asking you question back....
Old 15-Jul-2004, 18:08
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
In relation to the"quick action throttle" I think this is the wrong terminology as it makes the impression that its ultra fast.
We just need to look at the fact that the 999 throttle needs 90 + degrees of movement and is at the a least poor quality feel.
The 998 etc throttle is around 60 degrees movement as std even me works pan is this!
I think all im trying to achieve is a less vaugue throttle with less movement, not necessarily a "quick action".
Any in answer to your question this would appear a clever little cheapish mod to better the bike?
Old 17-Jul-2004, 13:38
Mille

Mood: In danger of scaring myself
Following on from the "throttle movement" thread and that which I started "stalling 999S" I agree with 'electricsheep' entirely. I had a 998RS throttle assembly and single 998 cable fitted and junked the OE 999 item, for the simple reason that the amount of rotation required to open the throttle meant repositioning your hand all the time and because it was also very vague when pulling away from standstill and on rolling throttle back on (whilst on the move). Whilst it may be a little quicker to operate, that for me was not the motive to change it to the 998 system. One thing I will say is that it IS more responsive and less vague and requires significantly less travel to open fully. So in my view it was money well spent.

With regards to the Termis & ECU, I too had the middle range 54mm system fitted. General concensus is that a USB PCIII will do the trick
Old 19-Jul-2004, 00:12

The 60 degree twin in the Aprilia is rougher at the bottom end and doesn't sound or feel as good as Ducati's 90 degree job. The Aprilia engine has a hint of CX500 about it, if you remember those. I had the Aprilia tit pipes and chip and 2 more teeth on the rear sprocket and it came with Pirelli Corsas as standard.

The seat is very tall - I'm 5'8" and was on tip toes.

The equipment on it is very high spec but it doesn't have the same viscera appeal as the the Duke. For fear of sounding like a repetition of what most road testers say, the Aprilia is very Japanese-like in its lack of character. I did France, Spain and a track day at Catalunya on it and it did everything very well but I never found myself creeping out to the garage to fettle it.