Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 02-Jun-2009, 23:24
Big Twin

Mood: If you ain't first, you're last!
Don't rock the boat babeeee!

Long story short.

Checked Castle Combe with regards to testing and found that they'd basically **** blocked racebikes full stop.

The day before the race meeting is for cars. Eh?

If it was for bikes,you'd need a road bike anyway. Hmmm.

Sent fairly pointed but relatively polite email to Castle Combe asking why this was the case. Ok, I mildly implied that their customer service ended at taking the clubs money but I insisted that I wasn't being sarcastic and that I genuinely wanted to know why they couldn't provide a testday prior to the meeting or at least let racebikes on the trackdays if they met the noise limits!

Got this reply (Carbon copied to New Era by the guy that sent it, which cracked me up. I'm expecting a furious Jim Parker on the phone)

Dear Tim,

Thankyou for your note but you may have preferred to have checked the facts prior to sending.

We are very aware of our customers needs but we do not have planning permission to run mid week test days for bikes. Its as simple as that and has always been the case here. The New Era club have run our bike meeting here since the 80’s and they too are aware of the situation. We would all prefer it if it was not the case as test days can be very lucrative but do ADD to the cost of competing; so, far from “taking the clubs money and that’s where customer service ends” we value our one motorcycle meeting of the year and will continue to work with the New Era club who appreciate the association and with who we enjoy a very good working relationship which we both hope will continue for many years.

We do run track days for road going bikes and full details are available on our website

I very much hope that you enjoy your visit to Castle Combe Circuit and have a successful and safe meeting but, of all the meetings we run here the bike meeting is far away the most expensive to put on but with a history of bike racing stretching back 58 years we will continue to provide the customers on both sides of the Armco with as cost effective a days sport as we can while accepting that a one day meeting may not suit them all.

Regards

Rodney

ERMMM, OK!

My reply was thus. Please, tell me if I'm being a tit!!?

Hi Rodney,

Many thanks for your speedy reply.

I do apologise if my somewhat abrupt email got your back up a bit, but I do have a habit of saying things as I see them. I can appreciate your defensive position, I'd feel exactly the same way. I'm actually a very nice bloke, and would be happy to chat on the phone to prove it!

I fail to see where I've missed the facts though?... I had a good look before I sent my email, trust me!

We have a one day meeting...the only bike race meeting of the year by your own admission. There's a "track day" on the Friday beforehand, but it's for cars????. I'm guessing that the planning permission issue relates to noise regs. Fair enough, but as I stated before, if a race bike meets these limits, what's the problem? The racecars are tested at 108 db, Bikes 105 (ok, so road cars are at 100db). My racebike has to meet the same limit for all MSV track and test days (105db)...it hits 98db. It seems strange that you can arrange midweek testdays for superloud racecars, but not for racebikes?

As you said yourself, it would be very lucrative for you to provide a test day prior to the race (even letting racebikes in) and I feel this would make it seem like a fully rounded meeting, rather than just turning up and hoping for the best. I think that if you feel the day wouldn't be worthwhile financially as people are limiting what they spend these days, then you have been ill advised. Racers don't skimp when it comes to testing, especially at a circuit they haven't been to before.

Surely some leeway could be incorporated into the test day prior to the race ( the one on the Weds) to show that you are as serious about this meeting as the competitors entering it?

Once again, please accept my apolgies for any offence taken from my correspondance, but I'm fighting for a championship against someone that has been to CC several times before. This is a very frustrating position as you might appreciate and I don't want to lose it because I couldn't test at CC.

I'm guessing I'll have to find a road bike to use, but as you may also appreciate, that doesn't mean my racebike will be set up properly on race day. It's an expensive meeting to put on you say, but Ambucopters cost alot as well (as melodramatic as that may sound!).

One last point. I'm not sure what the carbon copy to New Era was meant to achieve?...do you think Jim Parker will ring me and revoke my membership for rocking the boat? That'd be more of a blow to my championship hopes than the lack of race testing. Hmmm.

For what it's worth, I'm very much looking forward to racing at Castle combe, testing or no testing. Do keep an open mind though.

All the best,

Tim Pritchard.

Personally, if I'm honest (and cynical) it seems that the car boys that rule this circuit (and will spend nearly 300 quid on a test day) are given preference. Because we are the only bike day of the year, sod it if we don't know which way the circuit goes.

Am I being unreasonable?

Oh yeah, you'll notice that he said "customers on either side of the armco"...not either side of the recticel airfencing!
Old 02-Jun-2009, 23:36
888 at Last !!!

Mood: Glad to be here
Where does it say on their website that race bikes are not allowed? It does say "Bikes must be fitted with their original factory fitted silencer. We try to discourage competition machines, due to the strict sound regulations in place for the track days." I've run a DD bike there before but had to fit DB killers.
Old 02-Jun-2009, 23:39
888 at Last !!!

Mood: Glad to be here
Taken from their FAQ section

"Can I bring a racing bike?
The answer is “No”, unless it is a production based class strictly within our noise regulations. The days are not intended as testing for racers, but a chance to ride your road/sports bike quickly in a safe environment."

The DD bike meets that stipulation with db killers, and like all other track days, it's not a test day. Can't see why you can't book.
Old 02-Jun-2009, 23:44
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: I love my 996 xxx
Timmy, have you not done Castle Combe before?
Shep has!!!

They do allow race bikes on the wednesday trackdays, they just don't shout about it cos it's supposed to be a trackday rather than a test day... you know there's a difference!
In the Q&A's on their website it says race bikes are allowed if they're a production based class and comply with the noise regs. Plenty of us have taken DD bikes before.
The noise regs though are much tighter than ACU regs - it's 105db @ 3/4 revs, #34 gets through it at 102db.

Just book it on line (under a different name might be advisable now!). Me and some friends are going on August 5th.
Old 02-Jun-2009, 23:57
Big Twin

Mood: If you ain't first, you're last!
Yeah, I looked at all that, but since when does a 70mm race exhaust qualify as an original factory fitted silencer?

I guess I'm 50% guilty of being a tit then!

No Nick, not been to CC before...and yes, I'm aware that Shep has!!!!

I'm gonna book it under my own name..on the phone...and ask for Rodney to speak to when I book it!

Anyone thinking that I might be in a slightly feisty mood because I'm 21 points in the hole....would be spot fackin on.

And yes, I WILL be going completely mental at Mallory Park.

If anyone wants to win those races they're gonna have to be prepared to ride VERY hard indeed. And I hate the place.
Old 03-Jun-2009, 00:14
500SD

Tuppence worth: As DD can pick and chose out of New Era meetings (assumption, I know) if it's that much of a pain to get some testing at etc why don't we just drop it from the calendar. Having said that it could be a fantastic track for bike racing and a great meeting. Is it????
Old 03-Jun-2009, 00:58
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
I've tested there on a Weds, no probs. You just need to meet their noise regs.

Go and test, great circuit and a lot of fun. Interesting on the bumps on the brakes into quarry
Old 03-Jun-2009, 01:54
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Be careful - Castle Doom^H^H Combe likes to eat collarbones...

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 03-Jun-2009, 09:21
Big Twin

Mood: i'm a grey dude...
and ignore the MCN circuit guides that give advise about the 2 chicanes, cos that 3rd chicane that they dont mention can be a bit of a surprise!
Old 03-Jun-2009, 10:27
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
They've had those rules for yonks. Just make sure the bike's reasonably quiet and you'll be fine.

Having said that I dare say they'll now be keeping a very close eye on you!!