Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 27-Oct-2005, 17:41
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: 900,900,851,750,750,750, 600,600,450,350,350,250
Quote:
Originally posted by rob41b
Are all the maps free downloads? I know it's easy to download but do you have to pay for an unlock key?

The maps on the site are all free.
You run the software supplied with the power commander on your pc, open the map file, and download it to the power commander over usb.
Old 27-Oct-2005, 17:45
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally posted by flanagaj
Is it worth fitting a power commander to my stock 738 BP ? If so is it a case of just buying it and plugging it in or does it need to also be dyno'd ?

If you have a stock bike, you will probably still get an improvement (using the 'stock' map !) - the std maps in the ecu's are not 'optimum', they just get the bike through the emissions and noise regs, and will run a poor mixture all over the place.
What you will get is smoother throttle response in the low and mid range, and possibly better fuel consumption.

If you have non-std kit, a dyno run will usually be best to sort out the fuelling.
Old 27-Oct-2005, 18:18
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
Phil_H - It looks like you're the man with the Power Commander answers!

The geek in me is attracted to the idea of being able to "tinker" with the electronic injection on my bike. Downloading a map and changing settings on the bike via my laptop is appealing. (God, I'm sad).

Because I'm not fully versed in how Power Commander works etc. my questions might be a bit redundant. But, are there different maps for different "activities"? So let's say I want one map for commuting, one map for touring, one map for trackdays. Is this the sort of thing you can do? Or is it just one map for your setup/kit?
Old 27-Oct-2005, 18:45
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
Originally posted by phillc
Phil_H - It looks like you're the man with the Power Commander answers!
Nah - I just got here first !

Quote:
The geek in me is attracted to the idea of being able to "tinker" with the electronic injection on my bike. Downloading a map and changing settings on the bike via my laptop is appealing. (God, I'm sad).

Because I'm not fully versed in how Power Commander works etc. my questions might be a bit redundant. But, are there different maps for different "activities"? So let's say I want one map for commuting, one map for touring, one map for trackdays. Is this the sort of thing you can do? Or is it just one map for your setup/kit?

LOL
I guess its a possibility, but I wouldnt bother myself - if I want better fuel consumption I just pootle along gently !
The idea behind any downloadable system is to get your engine fuelling more efficiently, which'll mean better performance, smoother response and better fuel consumption when you pootle
What I've got out of it is a much better mid-range, but some people just want more power

[Edited on 27-10-2005 by phil_h]
Old 28-Oct-2005, 00:23
Big Twin

PHil_h, you are right that the standard ECU map will be all over the place to get the bike through emissions and noise. I was told that most bikes have a richer mixture set at 5.5k revs because a rich mixture deepens the exhaust note and that is the point that the noise test is done. The whole thing is a load of compromises.