Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 16-Jul-2003, 00:54
Mille

Looks like only 20 of you lot use chain lube!! Get votin...........

Old 17-Jul-2003, 20:30

I've got a Scottoiler - fill it and forget it!
Old 17-Jul-2003, 20:59
Big Twin

Mood: happy
always used castrol chain wax, put it on the night before and the chain is where it stays, top stuff, though there is always someone who will disagree.
Old 17-Jul-2003, 21:03
Bevel Head

Mood: Desperately seeking sunshine!
I think i need to invest in a scottoiler, as i dont think i can be trusted to lube my chain anymore....

100 miles ago i thought i lubed my chain with "Yoshi" chain lube....
I then left the can of it beside my bike.

....Only to find out today, that my Yoshi chain lube was still infact on the shelf.... and i had actually lubed it with the Yoshi water soluable degreaser!!

I dont think I want to making that mistake too often. ..But hey, it provided me with the incentive to finally clean my chain i suppose!

Its silly that they both come in identical aerosols with orange lids!?!?
Or am I the silly one!?!? Doh!

Vx
Old 17-Jul-2003, 22:43

I've found wd 40 to clean up the chain and then silkolene chain lube works really well, done nearly 8000 miles in a year and haven't had to adjust chain once.
A little bit of care goes a long way.
If i've been out in rain then i give chain a quick spray of wd when i get back just to disperse any water.

Also found wd makes paint work shine better than any polish and dispells any water especially on the misses 750 sport which is matt black.
Old 17-Jul-2003, 23:19
Mille

Castrol\'s romping away, any more views?

Old 17-Jul-2003, 23:44
Mille

Mood: 748r god what a sight drool droo
motul chain lube

i found the motul chain lube to be the best and when lubing the chain spray the bottom edge only thats the inside of the chain then let centrfugal force do its stuff and you wont end up with it all over your wheels
hope this helps u guys
Old 18-Jul-2003, 16:05

Clean my chain with WD40 and lube with Yoshi Slippi Tin - works really well and comes out a metallic pink colour so you can see where you have applied it. Biatch to get off the rear wheel though...
Old 18-Jul-2003, 17:47
Montjuic

Putoline

I use Putoline ceramic chain wax at £8 a can; claen the chain with WD40 then spray the lube on cleaning off the excess.

Hpw do you lube the inside of the chain, ok on my R1 but cannot get near it with the 916, due to hugger and chain guard?
Old 18-Jul-2003, 22:40
500SD

Mood: Firing on all 4 !!
EEEEKKK WD40 ??
WD40 does clean the chain up nicely, but unfortunatley it dries out and perishes the rubber seals giving the chain an untimely death.
The safest way is to use parafin or diesel (both oil based) to clean the chain up, leave to dry and then i apply with a brush some ATF fluid (or a clean high quality fork oil - but ATF is basicly fork oil with preservatives and detergents added), wipe off all excess, then apply a thin coating of chain lube, again cleaning off all excess.
this tends to do me for about 1000 miles happily. But then i get over 14k out of a standard chain on my blade like this before its finish was shot from a good winters riding.
Also dont use WD40 on caliper pistons and seals, before you know it you will have leaking seals and very perished rubbers, again use either parrafin or diesel fuel and a toothbrush