Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 16-May-2005, 13:52
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Carbon749
Quote:
Originally posted by guest1
Is it true that the fuel line over the top of the rear plug hole also serves as the seal, and has to be correctly manouevred into place when you put the tank back on to ensure the seal is sorted?

Not heard this one, I just let the fuel lines take a natural line and let them sit were they want to without forcing them in to any funny shapes.

Having just lifted the tank to get to the rear coil (failed and replaced under warranty by the way) I found that it is very easy to get one of the pipes caught between the tank and the head and it gets squashed. Just prodding the pipes in at the sides before fastening the seat/tank down will push them into the correct position.
Old 16-May-2005, 14:15
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by JPM
Quote:
Originally posted by guest1
Is it true that the fuel line over the top of the rear plug hole also serves as the seal, and has to be correctly manouevred into place when you put the tank back on to ensure the seal is sorted?

Yes and no Alan..

The fuel lines "should" sit underneath the tank neatly, if you look at the underside of the tank you'll see a channel of sorts this is where the fuel lines are supposed to sit. It doesn't seal or help the coil/plug assembly in that way as such but I was informed that if not routed that way the fuel lines vibrate and rub the wiring at the plug cap and can cause a failure.

Should the fuel line, on the left hand side of the bike, literally sit underneath the tank, behind the bolts running along the top of the engine?
Old 16-May-2005, 14:40
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Sounds about right, twist both pipes at the fuel pump inwards and they should route up inside the hollow underneath the tank if that exlpains it
Old 16-May-2005, 14:57
Big Twin

See my reply above about prodding the pipe so it is not caught!
Old 16-May-2005, 17:45
Big Twin

You've got me all paranoid now!

Does this look ok?
Old 16-May-2005, 17:50
BSB Star

I'd say NO!

Like I said above you can twist the pipe at the fuel pump, the fuel line will then ride up inside the tank slightly, and not rest on the head as yours is doing there, and looking slightly pinched also.
Old 16-May-2005, 17:57
Big Twin

It looked exactly like that the first time I moved the tank to take off the seat, thats why I put it back the same!?

Haven't had a problem riding like it is, but I don't like the look of it sitting there all squashed up, I think I will try to move it.
Old 16-May-2005, 18:10
BSB Star

That's how mine was after I removed the tank, but put a new tank on at the weekend and made sure I fitted the lines accordingly.
Old 16-May-2005, 18:18
everton

First of all a big thanks for all the advice, especially Chippy.

Quote:
Originally posted by khu996
It looked exactly like that the first time I moved the tank to take off the seat, thats why I put it back the same!?

Haven't had a problem riding like it is, but I don't like the look of it sitting there all squashed up, I think I will try to move it.

The petrol lines certainly ran along the cylinder head nuts as you described. With my bike they aren't squashed and will move slightly given that there is very little play. You cannot get the left hand line (looking rear to front of bike) further past these nuts as it will foul on the spark plug cap see (A) below.

The yellow dotted lines indicate the fuel line routes before the tank was removed.

Old 16-May-2005, 18:19
Big Twin

Mine looks like this. I can move the pipe with my finger so I know it is not trapped.