Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Sep-2006, 09:51
Mille

Mood: sensational!!
foam filter socks

g,day all, i'm looking for feedback on the foam filter that slips over the two injector trumpets. if you use one, what brand? what do you think? which is best? where to get? etc. thanks in advance,
cheers.
paul.
Old 20-Sep-2006, 10:18
500SD

Short answer mate, don't use 'em! The undertank filters are a known performance decreaser. The best option is to retain the filters in the airtubes. Even the factory race bikes used filters in the tubes - when they used filters at all.

You can replace the stock ones with Pipercross which are more free flowing but still do as good a job of filtering. And they're much cheaper than the undertank jobs.

Hope that helps,

Neil.
Old 20-Sep-2006, 10:27
Mille

thanks neil, i'm putting a carbon airbox in my 888 and if i want filters it looks like i have little choice. i just want the best quality one i can get i guess. if there's another alternative i'm all ears though.
Old 20-Sep-2006, 10:31
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
G`day mate

I looked into the use of undertank filters a lot when considering changing over to them.

I decided, after talking to a lot of people, to go the JHP route and use under tank filters and discard the air tube type.

I can only relay my own experience with this type and say that I have been extremly impressed by them and have noticed a definite increase in engine pick up.

On the down side I get the very occasional back fire, in the air box, since fitting these filters wich I put down to a slighlty weak mixture but I shall soon be fitting a Power Commander which will hopefully sort this minor problem out.

Its the same old storey, ya pays yer money etc etc etc .

If you want any more info give me a shout & I`ll post some pictures of the installtion.

Regards

Bob.G
Old 20-Sep-2006, 10:38
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
L888,

Might be best to post this is the 888 section, not sure if the 916/996/998 airbox/airtube set up is going th respond the same to the stuff used on the later bikes??

FWIW, I went the opposite way, ditched the undertank setup, went to in tube and got better HP and Torque with a better throttle response, hey ho,

Whatever you choose to do have a before and after dyno run done. Messing with the air filter set does affect the fueling so again whatever route you go that should be checked and adjusted by whatever means suitable to make sure you are getting the best from your chosen set up.

Ray.
Old 20-Sep-2006, 10:50
Mille

thanks guys, the reason i posted here is cos the socks are made primarily for 916 type bikes. the c/f airbox set up on the 888 is rather crude and as it's a race application, there's no facility for filtration. it's getting a rebuild at the moment so once it's back together and run in the pcIII will be getting set up on a dyno.
Old 20-Sep-2006, 11:32
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
I use the individual ones that clip on to the top of each Bellmouth on my 996, I got these new from Khushy and so far have had no problems with them following 15 months of use and I can't say the performance has suffed as its nearly every bit as quick as my 998.
I also have a ITG filter that streaches over both bellmouths on one of my bikes but haven't done many miles with it but seems to work OK

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 21-Sep-2006, 12:01
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
These are my JHP filters on my 998.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Filter 6.JPG (142.9 KB, 17 views)