Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Jan-2004, 21:15
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
repairs

i need enlightening
why does every one advise against getting puntures repaired.
is it just that they want to sell you a new tyre for 120 notes rather than get 15 for a repair or is there a good reason.

its got to be a v.good reason for that sort of money
any advice chaps
cheers
Old 26-Jan-2004, 21:21
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
i've had two punctures repaired on one they put an inner tube in (tubeless zr rated front tyre) and one was plugged (rear tyre) no problems at all although the inner tube restricts you to 220kph
Old 26-Jan-2004, 21:27
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
I find it really depends on where the puncture is. If in the centre of the tyre, we have got it repaired.
CK got a puncture right in the middle of the last rear tyre she had after it was only 120 miles used. Did another 4,750 after repair.
There are certain areas that tyre repaires wont 'plug' - such as the sidewall etc.
Often I leave it to the tyre repair place to give me an informed opinion if they can do it - and if its going to be safe.
I'm also a skinflint!

Other people will tell you never to get it repaired - but to change it instead.
Mr Tyreman will tell you his thoughts I would think.

As we only use our bikes for pleasure riding at the moment - (but looks like CK is geting revved up to do a trackday - who suggested that???) I would try to get it repaired if possible.

Alan (AK)
Old 26-Jan-2004, 23:20
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
I\'d never get a puncture repaired!!

Its gotta be a weak point for the tyre, especially if its been plugged.

You only have 2 points of contact with the road and I reckon your jeapordising your main one!

A false economy IMO.
Tim
Old 26-Jan-2004, 23:32
Dibble

but Tim, you throw them away if they are dirty ....

Old 27-Jan-2004, 10:51
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Zactly!!

Old 27-Jan-2004, 19:15
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
thanks for all the advice.
have decided to go for a new tyre this time as it would probablyt need replaceing
before the summer really got going anyway.but if it did have a bit more life in it i think i would be prepered to give it a go.
so for the next time what is the best way to repair a punture, a patch,bung or a tube
Old 28-Jan-2004, 13:32
Mille

Mood: i love rubber
puncture repairs

if a repair is necessary it must be carried outas soon as possible after the damage occurs,early removal increases the possibility of a successful repair.
REPAIRS PERMITTED
2 repairs per tyre in tyres up to and including j speed rating(62 mph)repairs on j rated tyres must not exceed 6mm in diameter.
1 repair per tyre above j speed rating,up to and including v speed rating(150 mph)
repairs on tyres above j speed rating and up to v speed rating must not exceed 3mm in diameter.
the repair must be restricted to the tread area(eg central 3/4 of tyre tread)using a mushroom type plug.
no repairs are permitted above v speed rating(150 mph) in accordance with bs159f

hope this helps

tyreman
Old 28-Jan-2004, 15:57
500SD

Mood: I can live with backpain!
no repairs are permitted above v speed rating(150 mph) in accordance with bs159f

...I dont think thats strictly true,I'm sure it says repairs are' not recommended',and if your insistant you can get it plugged-probably with a few caveats on usage.
I had a puncture a few years back with less than 50 miles on a rear tyre,I think it unrealistic to expect anyone to just throw away a decent tyre because of this.-just dont do trackdays etc. on them,I was told treat them like the speed rating is one lower than marked.
:P
Old 28-Jan-2004, 17:28
Mille

Mood: i love rubber
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave G

...I dont think thats strictly true,I'm sure it says repairs are' not recommended',and if your insistant you can get it plugged-probably with a few caveats on usage.
I had a puncture a few years back with less than 50 miles on a rear tyre,I think it unrealistic to expect anyone to just throw away a decent tyre because of this.-just dont do trackdays etc. on them,I was told treat them like the speed rating is one lower than marked.
:P
i dont tell lies just giving honest advice
any tyre manufacturer would back this up .
it is at the end of the day down to the owner/rider to decide whether to have a tyre repaired and the tyre fitter can only give his best opinion ..but remember safety first you only have 2 contact patches the size of the palm of your hand

thanks tyreman