Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Oct-2005, 21:36
GTL

Advice sought - SP3 unwell...

I'd appreciate some advice please... Now that I've got the UJM run in I thought I'd take the SP3 out for a ride this evening. It turned over fine, eventually started, but sounded like it was only running on both cylinders some of the time. It kept dying, spat back through the airbox a few times, popped through the exhaust. Eventually I went up the road, it died on me several times. Generally, it's not a happy bike.

Assuming it's not just sulking about being neglected and the company it has to keep in the garage, any thoughts? Obvious things - there's plenty of fuel in it, the battery has been on an Optimate.

TIA

Andrew
Old 18-Oct-2005, 21:38
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Found a CR250. Let the bone braking begin
plugs ?
Old 19-Oct-2005, 02:03
Mille

Has it been sitting for a while? Try some injector cleaner in the tank.
Old 19-Oct-2005, 07:31
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by mikesps
Has it been sitting for a while? Try some injector cleaner in the tank.
Yep,and a new fuel filter.
Old 19-Oct-2005, 09:07
GTL

Mood: I want to come home ::(:but then
I take it that you can turn it over. In other words the battery has power. If not then it could be your rectifier, the original one's were always breaking down. After constantly having my battery on charge then constantly breaking down, I decided to fit a 916 rectifier and have not had a problem since.

Failing that then it sounds like a fuelling problem
Old 19-Oct-2005, 09:43
GTL

Thanks for the replies. The bike hadn't been run for several weeks, so I agree fueling sounds favourite. The fuel filter is in the tank isn't it? Easy to change???

Andrew
Old 19-Oct-2005, 11:38
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
First thing to do is take the plugs out and renew them if their suspect. You might try giving them a good clean but any improvement will likely only be temporary. For a replacement plug, I've had great success with the Denso Iridium race plugs.

Not consistenly firing on both cylinders is almost always plug related in my experience.
Old 19-Oct-2005, 12:22
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
I'd go with plugs or stale fuel.
Old 19-Oct-2005, 12:48
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
I once had a problem with the two fused relays which feed the fuel pump etc. One was cutting out which caused all the symptoms of fuel starvation, and then cleared for a while.
On my '92 bike they live in the tail by the rear light - I'm not sure where they are on an SP3?

You can get replacements from car factors, as Ducati have altered the connector arrangements on their superseding part..........which means you buy new ones, plug 'em in and still nothing works, until you re-arrange the connectors in the mounting blocks!!

HTH

Paul
Old 19-Oct-2005, 13:33
GTL

Thanks again for the replies. The fuel isn't stale (I went out briefly a couple of weeks ago and filled it up, problems were very similar then, just nowhere near as bad - I really thought I'd have to push it home last night!). The relays on an SP3 are in the tail also - any idea of part numbers etc Paul?

Sounds like it's new plugs, relays, injector cleaner and fuel filter, probably in that order.

Andrew